+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How likely is rejection at landing - Criminal Background

lmnop

Apr 29, 2016
My husband and I have had our PR approved and received our landing documents. We currently live in Canada on NAFTA skilled worker visas and will be doing our landing inland. My question relates to the likelihood of rejection at the landing interview. I have an expunged/dismissed "wet reckless driving" from the US which happened in 2001. I disclosed all of this in our application and explained the circumstances in a letter to CIC when we applied. I understand one of the questions we will likely be asked is if we have ever been charged or convicted of a crime in any country. After all this time, effort, stress and money how much should I worry that we will be rejected at the last minute?

Thanks

pkssandhu

Apr 16, 2013
I am not an expert and haven't gone through the process of landing myself as yet but from what I have been reading on the forums and their experience with landing, I did not see anywhere them asking for past criminal history.

Just my two cents. Wait for other experience members to answer.

hkcec

Star Member
Jul 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-06-2014
AOR Received.
15-07-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
(Decision Made) 30-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
(CoPR) 04-11-2015
LANDED..........
04-2016
Though I can't answer your question, I have done my landing two weeks ago.

On the CoPR, there is a line: Charged/convicted of a crime or offence in any country, refused admission to Canada or required to leave Canada?

And the officer will ask you to sign next to the line if the answer is NO. (I don't know what will happen if it's Yes)

Hope this gives you some extra information.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
lmnop said:
My husband and I have had our PR approved and received our landing documents. We currently live in Canada on NAFTA skilled worker visas and will be doing our landing inland. My question relates to the likelihood of rejection at the landing interview. I have an expunged/dismissed "wet reckless driving" from the US which happened in 2001. I disclosed all of this in our application and explained the circumstances in a letter to CIC when we applied. I understand one of the questions we will likely be asked is if we have ever been charged or convicted of a crime in any country. After all this time, effort, stress and money how much should I worry that we will be rejected at the last minute?

Thanks
If you have provided them with this information on your application and they approved your PR then there is nothing to be worried about, you have passed criminality check. Remember when the border officer is asking you these questions, there are mostly two reasons: 1/ They are bound to ask you these generic questions out load (it's like reading out your rights), and they have a checklist to go through 2/ They want to double check your answers with the records they have on their system. So when the officer is asking you these questions he is looking at the screen in front of him at the same time to see if you are matching the answers, just to make sure everything makes sense.

Consider this and stay truthful and honest all the time, just like you were when you applied for your PR. There is nothing to worry about at all, there is no grounds for rejection here, unless there is something else going on and you are not willing to share it here.

P.S. the officer might ask you why, when and how? Just answer him thoroughly and truthfully.

Again don't worry much, you are not a convicted felon. Have a happy landing, and best of luck.

nuke noodles

Sep 4, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CEC filed 09-22-2014
Nomination.....
PNP filed 01-2014, nominated 06-2015. EE-ITA 01-2016
AOR Received.
CEC-AOR 02-04-2015, EE-AOR 02-2016
Med's Done....
EE Medical Passed 02-2016. ECAS MER 03-14-2016.
Passport Req..
PPR 2016-04-06, DM 2016-04-08
VISA ISSUED...
2016-04-12
LANDED..........
2016-05-22
My take on this question is if the GCMS notes shows criminality passed and the charge was reviewed by a VO, there shouldn't be any problem.

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hkcec said:
Though I can't answer your question, I have done my landing two weeks ago.

On the CoPR, there is a line: Charged/convicted of a crime or offence in any country, refused admission to Canada or required to leave Canada?

And the officer will ask you to sign next to the line if the answer is NO. (I don't know what will happen if it's Yes)

Hope this gives you some extra information.
The question on the COPR is for any charges or convictions that occurred after she applied for PR and not prior.

Your answer on COPR will be a "NO" and you will initial beside it.

Good luck!

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
xecuter said:
The question on the COPR is for any charges or convictions that occurred after she applied for PR and not prior.

Your answer on COPR will be a "NO" and you will initial beside it.

Good luck!
I don't think so.

COPR question doesn't states when you committed the offense/were charged, so let's assume is a generic question.

Anyways if the applicant told about this issue in the application and was issued COPR is nothing to worry about, just before answer the question at POE explain it to the officer, with same supporting documents you used for your application

EDITED:
If the charges were dismissed I would dare to say is just fine.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/conviction.asp

xyca2015

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017

Thanks
Hi i was just reading your post years ago..with your case dismissed you were granted pr?and did they ask you again the question if you were charged when you dis your landing?how did it go?i hope you will read this..thank you

sngmng

Jul 8, 2018
GTA
Hi i was just reading your post years ago..with your case dismissed you were granted pr?and did they ask you again the question if you were charged when you dis your landing?how did it go?i hope you will read this..thank you
hi just wondering if you are in the same situation. how did your landing go?
i have a withdrawn charge and im about to land.. not too sure if i should put a yes or no there..

sgrv

Star Member
Sep 11, 2018
hi just wondering if you are in the same situation. how did your landing go?
i have a withdrawn charge and im about to land.. not too sure if i should put a yes or no there..
Hi @sngmng, how did your landing go? I have a dismissed charge and wondering if I could be turned away at the airport even if my PR application was approved. The charge was completely declared in my PR application.

sgrv

Star Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hi @xyca2015, how did your landing go? Were you in a similar situation?

xyca2015

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Hi @xyca2015, how did your landing go? Were you in a similar situation?
Hi it is my husband and he has not land yet..i asked the officer about the question on behalf of him and she said just answer yes because the question pertains to anything that happened before. Anyway pls let me know how it goes for you..when are you landing?

sgrv

Star Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hi it is my husband and he has not land yet..i asked the officer about the question on behalf of him and she said just answer yes because the question pertains to anything that happened before. Anyway pls let me know how it goes for you..when are you landing?
My application hasn't been approved yet so landing is quite far away. I was just wondering if there was a chance even after application was approved.

From what I've read, it shouldn't be a problem if the charge was already declared to IRCC in the application, and they approved the application. We should be honest with the officer and give him the details, as well as tell him that we told IRCC about it in the application. He will be able to verify in our file.

Good luck! Keep us posted about what happens when your husband lands.

xyca2015

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
My application hasn't been approved yet so landing is quite far away. I was just wondering if there was a chance even after application was approved.

From what I've read, it shouldn't be a problem if the charge was already declared to IRCC in the application, and they approved the application. We should be honest with the officer and give him the details, as well as tell him that we told IRCC about it in the application. He will be able to verify in our file.

Good luck! Keep us posted about what happens when your husband lands.
Hi it took a while before our application was approved but as long as you have all the documents stating your charges were dismissed then you should be fine. Good luck and for sure i will let you know how it goes

SUMO2385

Aug 19, 2019
Hi @sngmng, how did your landing go? I have a dismissed charge and wondering if I could be turned away at the airport even if my PR application was approved. The charge was completely declared in my PR application.
Hi Sgrv,
Could you please tell me what is the right way to declare dismissed and expunged charges on PR Application?
And how long it took you to get your PR approved?
Thank you.