+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How likely is my study permit application going to be rejected for being unemployed?

mikefox299

Star Member
Nov 24, 2015
My background:

I graduated in mid-2016 and have almost 1 and a half years of experience. I quit my job at the end of Dec 2017 and have been unemployed ever since (1 year and 3 months unemployment when I actually submit my permit application).
I have sufficient funds for the entire program + cost of living in my name and own personal account (will also supply the bill of sale of the an apartment I had to sell to secure the funding). Additionally, I have almost 300k CAD of fixed assets tying me back to my home country.
The program I am applying to is an MBA (I have a Bachelors in Finance) at a reputable public university, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm also registered to take a CPA exam soon and will supply the VO with my exam registration details.
I'm currently working on a strong SOP in order to explain my reasons of wanting to study in Canada, that specific university and that specific program. I'll also highlight that I will be returning to my home country upon the completion of my degree.
I'm worried that my application would be rejected specifically due to my unemployment. I made a lot of stupid decisions and have been unemployed by choice, rather than by fortune due to burning myself out.
Now that I have my life back together, my stupid mistakes and decisions have come back to haunt me.

My question:

Should I obtain a statement (signed, stamped and official letterhead) from a company a friend of mine owns stating that they have a job offer waiting for me after I finish my MBA in Canada? Or will it look too suspicious?

To clarify what I mean by suspicious, I mean wouldn't the VO wonder why I am unemployed if I have this job offer on hand?

Am I better off with or without such a statement?

mikefox299

Star Member
Nov 24, 2015
Chances are slim to be accepted. I'm unemployed and was refused because of my "employment ties in country of residence".
Thanks for the input, but to be honest it looks like your situation is a bit more complicated than mine. I'm optimistic, but still worried about the final result.

If I get rejected due to my current employment status, I'm going to start working immediately. Hopefully I'll get accepted the next time I try, after I defer my admission to the next year.

Dhruvarora

Nov 5, 2018
Thanks for the input, but to be honest it looks like your situation is a bit more complicated than mine. I'm optimistic, but still worried about the final result.

If I get rejected due to my current employment status, I'm going to start working immediately. Hopefully I'll get accepted the next time I try, after I defer my admission to the next year.
I would suggest you to make a very strong SOP and justify each and every reason of your unemployment. Also show that there is a huge scope of MBA in your home country.

wacom

May 3, 2019
My background:

I graduated in mid-2016 and have almost 1 and a half years of experience. I quit my job at the end of Dec 2017 and have been unemployed ever since (1 year and 3 months unemployment when I actually submit my permit application).
I have sufficient funds for the entire program + cost of living in my name and own personal account (will also supply the bill of sale of the an apartment I had to sell to secure the funding). Additionally, I have almost 300k CAD of fixed assets tying me back to my home country.
The program I am applying to is an MBA (I have a Bachelors in Finance) at a reputable public university, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm also registered to take a CPA exam soon and will supply the VO with my exam registration details.
I'm currently working on a strong SOP in order to explain my reasons of wanting to study in Canada, that specific university and that specific program. I'll also highlight that I will be returning to my home country upon the completion of my degree.
I'm worried that my application would be rejected specifically due to my unemployment. I made a lot of stupid decisions and have been unemployed by choice, rather than by fortune due to burning myself out.
Now that I have my life back together, my stupid mistakes and decisions have come back to haunt me.

My question:

Should I obtain a statement (signed, stamped and official letterhead) from a company a friend of mine owns stating that they have a job offer waiting for me after I finish my MBA in Canada? Or will it look too suspicious?

To clarify what I mean by suspicious, I mean wouldn't the VO wonder why I am unemployed if I have this job offer on hand?

Im stressing on the same issue at the moment, how did it go?

wacom

May 3, 2019
I will apply for the study permit next month with fingers crossed. I hope I get it.
Hi, how did your application pan out?

I'm currently unemployed, but I have good travel history. I hope that's enough for them to think that I wont be staying in Canada after I study.

mikefox299

Star Member
Nov 24, 2015
Hi, how did your application pan out?

I'm currently unemployed, but I have good travel history. I hope that's enough for them to think that I wont be staying in Canada after I study.
Thankfully my visa was approved, sorry for taking so long to reply. Haven't checked on this forum in a while.

Just make sure to write a convincing SOP

silent3y3s

Jun 1, 2014
Halifax
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
26-02-2020
Doc's Request.
NO
Interview........
Not required!
My background:

My question:

As far as you are able to explain in your SOP about unemployment period like what had you been doing during that time, it's all good. I had a little bite more than 3 years of unemployment period in my application when applied for study permit.

Reactions: Vicky_7

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
At the time I submitted my application, I was unemployed for almost 15 months. I explained in the SOP that I was studying for a professional designation as well as completing the GMAT and IELTs exams
Unemployment is not necessarily a big issue plus you took time off to study for the GMAT. Things matter in context. If you have admission to an advanced post secondary program at a good school you are likely to be accepted if you have the money,

Pradhav

Star Member
May 16, 2019
Hi
I have been unemployed for more than a year now
I graduated in 2016 and worked as software engineer till February 2019
Will my study permit get rejected for above reason
Can I mention i was preparing for GMAT but didn't give exam