+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How is work experience calculated?

Oys

Apr 30, 2017
How is work experience calculated? Is it that they only start counting after your results are declared? For eg. I started working in June 15, but my results were declared in the month of September. So will the count from June 15- June 17 i.e 2 years or Sept 15- June 17 i.e 1 year 9 months, as I'll be losing out on my points. Kindly help.

adrlim

Nov 18, 2016
How is work experience calculated? Is it that they only start counting after your results are declared? For eg. I started working in June 15, but my results were declared in the month of September. So will the count from June 15- June 17 i.e 2 years or Sept 15- June 17 i.e 1 year 9 months, as I'll be losing out on my points. Kindly help.
It should be based on when you started.

ALTaylor

Star Member
May 11, 2017
It starts on the date you first started working in a particular position. It must be full-time, continuous work.

iam_ij

Star Member
Jul 20, 2020
Mauritius
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
NOC stands for National Occupational Classification and it is how Canada classifies the type of work that express entry candidates can qualify for.
See here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/find-national-occupation-code.html

You get points for 1 year, 2 years or 3 years of experience in a given field included in the available NOCs.
Company A - 2 Months Noc 2173
Company B -23 months NOC 2174
Company C - 6 Months NOC 2171
Company B - 5 Months ongoing NOC 2174

Does it count as 3 years ?

Igor_K

Star Member
Jun 15, 2015
I may be the minority but I always prefer checking the official original sourse. Requirements for Federal Skilled worker clearly state:
in the same type of job (have the same NOC) as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation)
So,in youe case, NOC 2174 gives you the most months, so you should only indicate this NOc in you EE profile.

iam_ij

Star Member
Jul 20, 2020
Mauritius
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
I may be the minority but I always prefer checking the official original sourse. Requirements for Federal Skilled worker clearly state:
in the same type of job (have the same NOC) as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation)
So,in youe case, NOC 2174 gives you the most months, so you should only indicate this NOc in you EE profile.
Yes my primary NOC will be 2174. But can i claim work experience under other NOC also ? Does it sum to 3 years ?

ayeetee

Jun 11, 2020
Yes my primary NOC will be 2174. But can i claim work experience under other NOC also ? Does it sum to 3 years ?
It will not count as 3 years for a primary occupation. Like Igor_K said, you would have 28 months.

Igor_K

Star Member
Jun 15, 2015
The requirements state:
So, no. Only one NOC.