+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How is US work experience and education viewed in the canadian job market?

Redbaron

Sep 2, 2016
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
13-02-2017
Med's Done....
10-03-2017
Passport Req..
06-09-2017
I have both US work experience and a MS from a good US university. I am currently awaiting my PR application to be approved and, if that happens, plan to come over to Canada and spend a few months looking for a job.
As I prepare for this event, I wanted to understand if Canadian employers look at US work experience and education favourably. If so, I can highlight the same in my resume and perhaps also lead with this point in job applications and interviews.
Would such experience stand in lieu of Canadian experience?
Btw this is largely from a mid-senior position perspective, if that matters.

cheers!

ashu1710

Nov 7, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
Redbaron said:
I have both US work experience and a MS from a good US university. I am currently awaiting my PR application to be approved and, if that happens, plan to come over to Canada and spend a few months looking for a job.
As I prepare for this event, I wanted to understand if Canadian employers look at US work experience and education favourably. If so, I can highlight the same in my resume and perhaps also lead with this point in job applications and interviews.

cheers!
My background is similar to yours. (Masters + 2-3 years of work experience in the US).

"I wanted to understand if Canadian employers look at US work experience and education favourably."

In general, yes. They certainly think much more highly of it than they do of education\experience from India (based on personal experience). If you have research experience or have worked at a well known US employer (Microsoft, Google, Cisco etc.) so much the better.

"Would such experience stand in lieu of Canadian experience?"

In certain cases, like experience in Silicon Valley or a degree from MIT\Caltech etc. for instance, it might even be considered better than Canadian experience.

If you're in CS\programming, I can give you a more detailed explanation.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
That is a very valid post and I hope you get your answers. I have the similar doubt but I will not hijack your post but I create a new post hoping someone will shed some light. sorry for being a copycat.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Redbaron said:

cheers!
It is valued. Not as much as Canadian experience but for sure it is a very good to have. You should highlight it, no doubt.

Redbaron

Sep 2, 2016
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
13-02-2017
Med's Done....
10-03-2017
Passport Req..
06-09-2017
Thanks for the replies everyone. Its good to hear that there is some additional benefit of this kind of background.
I am not from a CS background but rather an advanced analytics background but perhaps some commonalities exist although I will be looking at mid-senior positions.

ashu1710

Nov 7, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
Redbaron said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Its good to hear that there is some additional benefit of this kind of background.
I am not from a CS background but rather an advanced analytics background but perhaps some commonalities exist although I will be looking at mid-senior positions.
By "advanced analytics" do you mean machine learning\data science? I'm in the same field btw. (PhD dropout).

Redbaron

Sep 2, 2016
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
13-02-2017
Med's Done....
10-03-2017
Passport Req..
06-09-2017
ashu1710 said:
By "advanced analytics" do you mean machine learning\data science? I'm in the same field btw. (PhD dropout).
Thats right ashu1710.

Traveller22

Star Member
Mar 6, 2016
Great. Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss further.
Great. Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss further.
Hi ashu1710....came across your above post today...I recently got my PR and planning to land sometime later in the year...I'm currently in US and into advanced analytics field..it would be great if you can guide me as to how I can approach companies in Canada for a job in related field...any consultancies that you can tell me about would be very much appreciated...thank you very much

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
US work experience is valued favorably in Canada. My wife and I both immigrated from the USA. I have no issue in the tech sector. I was sponsored to Canada by my employer and fit in just fine. My wife works in health care (PT) and had more issues because the health care industry is more regulated in general. She had to get licensed in Ontario and had to take a few exams to get her license. Once she got through those, she was able to find employment fairly easily - much quicker than her other foreign trained PT friends from other countries. Her US education and work experience translated fairly seamlessly.

Gangman123r

Jan 6, 2018
What are interviews for Software Development/ Programming positions like? What do Canadian employees generally tend to look for? Also, when to really start job hunting in earnest? I'm currently in the US, just got an ITA. Planning to move to Canada hopefully before the end of this year.

maypal

Jun 11, 2018
Hi ashu1710....came across your above post today...I recently got my PR and planning to land sometime later in the year...I'm currently in US and into advanced analytics field..it would be great if you can guide me as to how I can approach companies in Canada for a job in related field...any consultancies that you can tell me about would be very much appreciated...thank you very much
Hello Traveller 22 and Ashu1710,
My case is similar and any advice on how best to continue a career in advanced analytics from the US to Canada is very helpful. Are certain skills and educational background viewed more favorably when hiring?
Thank you!