+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How I got IELTS Academic 7.5 band (non native speaker,first attempt) few tips in

jessica1

Star Member
Sep 23, 2013
INDIA
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2 july 2014
IELTS Request
7.5 all > 6.5
Med's Request
Pre
VISA ISSUED...
19 july 2014
LANDED..........
sooonn
hello friends,
My IELTS score is
L - 8 R - 7.5 W 7 S 6.5 , Overall 7.5 academic
result link i.imgur.com/KG1oPIR.jpg

I created this topic to throw light on IELTS exam amongst fellow members of canadavisa forums, on 13th of feb I took my IELTS ( british council )for the first time. I prepared at home for only 45 days or so for IELTS and in those 45 days I prepared for grammar around 35 days and I gave only 10 days to actual IELTS pratice paper/questions. I practiced from IELTS cambridge courses 8 and 9 plus some IELTS preparation websites, I researched upon sample questions and answers for writing test from different websites and made my own notes/writing tips. I dont have special vocabulary nor I was preparing for any other exam which could have helped me in IELTS. I observed that for achieving a good score in IELTS one should have good :

1. Grammar- Very good english grammar precisely tenses usage and structure I used online resources for memorizing (learning) tenses usages and structures.
2. Speed - it is needed in every test , for me reading was quite hard as compare to other tests because the passages in exams are lengthy than the one in cambridge courses 8 ,9 ,or at other web sources so you need good speed to read and understand them, most of the time we dont understand passage at first reading then you need to re read them second time or third time, thats where speed helps. SPeed also helps in writing exam as well if you can write in a good speed then of course you will find time to re read what you have write and correct it , arrange it etc.
3. Practice your weak areas.Introspect yourself , find your weak area and then practice it most.

My preparation strategy :
Listening - I have been listening and watching to English songs , movie for years and I think that helped me a lot in listening but before exam I took all of cambridge 8,9 listening tests.
Reading - Reading was not simple for me because I do not read english often and passages are complex in real exam as compare to courses still I practiced all of cambridge 8,9 reading tests by keeping a stop watch for 1 hour setting.
Writing - I searched sample essays writing and graphs answers and prepared , memorized my own notes for writing exam , like keywords etc which helped me a lot in writing exam.
Speaking - I searched about the speaking test format/structure/pattern about what do they ask ? possible questions , possible topics ( country wise , google it !) and worked on their answers though I did not practice at all for speaking exam because I did not have any partner to speak with but still I was able to manage it to 6.5
I highly recommend not to practice with computer except listening test , I took print out of each tests and then practiced them without computer

I hope my experience help you with your IELTS preparations , and if you have any doubts /questions then feel free to ask or PM me :)

Thank you

pumbaa_g

Star Member
Jan 20, 2013
Thanks for the tips. Could you please share the scores that you were getting during the IELTS practice exams and how those compared to your actual results? I read in some blogs that if you are scoring the same consistently then the actual scores would be very similar + or - half a band.

Thanks in advance!

cherishlady

May 26, 2014
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06/11/2015 Quebec - 11/07/2016 Federal
Doc's Request.
waiting
AOR Received.
15-11-2016
IELTS Request
overall 7.5 also sent tefaq
File Transfer...
12/12/2016
Med's Request
22/12/2016
Med's Done....
23/12/2016
Interview........
not required
Passport Req..
25-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
06-05-2017
Hi! I took my IELTS exam on may 10th and just got my results:
listening 7.0
Reading 8.5
Writing: 6.5
Speaking 7.5

Overall 7.5

I am a non native speaker and this was my first attempt, however I lived in the US in 2009, I always listen to music in English and watch movies with subtitles in English. For this exam I bought the "Road to IELTS" course it was like $45.55 unlimited access online, and it helped me a lot I started studying one month before the test like 30 minutes a day and full time on weekends. When you enroll to take the IELTS exam you have only the last minute version and I upgraded to the full version, in my opinion is the most useful tool for this exam, you get the chance to know the exam structure and i think the mock exams in this course are as difficult as the real exam. For me the most difficult part was listening and I thought i did better in writing, however it was the opposite haha ;D.

Good luck,

Ah! for the speaking exam they ask to talk about my city and the problems of it and about advertisement, my husband who also took the examn was asked to talk about his favorite animal and favorite building.
He got overall score of 8 without studying a single day, I guess english is natural for him.