+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How fast can I register a company after landing as PR?

jorgenmunk1983

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
My wife and I intend to do our landing in Toronto in June (depending on the Corona virus situation) and will then go back to Denmark for the birth of our daughter in early August, before moving permanently to Canada around October/November 2020.

I have a job ready for me when we settle there for good, but my wife has a business idea that she would like to get started with ASAP (we are already working on the website, the products etc.)

My question is therefore:
How soon after our landing in Canada can we open a company?
Right away?
After SIN?
After PR card?

Although the name of the company is very original and I doubt anyone would sneak it away from us, my wife prefers getting registered before we buy the domain (I already told her they don't need to be exactly the same but she is quite insistent), which is why we would like to know how fast we can register.

Many thanks for your help and hope you are all staying safe out there.

Reactions: shipping

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
My wife and I intend to do our landing in Toronto in June (depending on the Corona virus situation) and will then go back to Denmark for the birth of our daughter in early August, before moving permanently to Canada around October/November 2020.

I have a job ready for me when we settle there for good, but my wife has a business idea that she would like to get started with ASAP (we are already working on the website, the products etc.)

My question is therefore:
How soon after our landing in Canada can we open a company?
Right away?
After SIN?
After PR card?

Although the name of the company is very original and I doubt anyone would sneak it away from us, my wife prefers getting registered before we buy the domain (I already told her they don't need to be exactly the same but she is quite insistent), which is why we would like to know how fast we can register.

Many thanks for your help and hope you are all staying safe out there.
After she gets her SIN, otherwise it’ll be a non resident
Is it going to be a corporation or a sole prop?
If it’s a sole prop, and it’s in Ontario you’ll get a masters business license from the province NOT the CRA.
Then you’ll see if she wants to incorporate Provincially or Federally
You can do that online or get a lawyer
You’ll get a Business Number from the CRA, and register for a HST number if you must

jorgenmunk1983

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
Thanks for taking the time from Coping :)

It is going to be a sole prop and in Ontario. So what you are saying is that we need to wait till we have landed and gotten the SIN.

Thanks!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

It is going to be a sole prop and in Ontario. So what you are saying is that we need to wait till we have landed and gotten the SIN.

Thanks!
You need the SIN if you're going to incorporate and or register for a HST #. A SIN is mandatory if you're going to get a HST number with the feds . If you get a master business license with the province, a SIN isn't required . If your spouse registers for a HST account, the legal name will be her name, however you can have a operating name on the accouht which would be the unique name you mentioned earlier

drkosamia

Aug 29, 2014
Surat
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2014
Nomination.....
20-01-2015
AOR Received.
10-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted
File Transfer...
17-02-2015
Med's Request
09-05-2015
Passport Req..
04-09-2015

Thanks!
Yes, you need to have SIN and might not need to register for GST/HST.

Trademark is a very long process and it may take 1-3 years, by the feel of your email it seems needed for you. Things changes of you are planning to launch a business on Amazon.

All the best.

jorgenmunk1983

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
Curious to know the current status OP.
we are still waiting on the new COPR from Canada...we had a daughter july 25th and in october they asked us for a medical exam and after we sent them that we havent heard back...
hoping to arrive in canada end summer, once i know i will be sure to share it here :)

Z86

Star Member
Aug 10, 2019
we are still waiting on the new COPR from Canada...we had a daughter july 25th and in october they asked us for a medical exam and after we sent them that we havent heard back...
hoping to arrive in canada end summer, once i know i will be sure to share it here :)
Congratulations and All the best

nishant.t

Sep 30, 2018
Mumbai, India
Category........
BUSINESS
Visa Office......
Mumbai
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Congrats @jorgenmunk1983

I am also in the same boat like your wife. I am a self employed Web Designer running my business and want to continue doing so after I land in Canada.

stuthibalaji

Sep 15, 2020
Hi Folks, I have a similar question. I will be landing for the first time in Canada on March 5th. I plan to work as an Independent Contractor for a US based company. Since the in person appointments for SIN are only possible after the quarantine period (15 days), I will not have one until then. Can I still work as an independent contractor without the SIN? Do I have to register as an entity to start working? Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Maxybaba