+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How far in advance can you move to Canada once your study permit is approved?

Coco7

Star Member
Oct 9, 2015
One of my friends recently applied for a study permit, his classes will start at the end of October and based in his classmates who applied earlier than him, he will likely get the permit approved at the beginning of next month. He would like to move here as soon as possible, how far in advance can he enter Canada?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Far enough that you can afford to be there without working - you cannot work before your studies. Most people would say 1-2 months.

Coco7

Star Member
Oct 9, 2015
Far enough that you can afford to be there without working - you cannot work before your studies. Most people would say 1-2 months.
Money would be no problem, my friend has been saving for several years for his move to Canada, my question is more geared towards what are the guidelines that border offices follow. I couldn’t find an specific mention of the topic on IRCC website

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Money would be no problem, my friend has been saving for several years for his move to Canada, my question is more geared towards what are the guidelines that border offices follow. I couldn’t find an specific mention of the topic on IRCC website
There is no guideline. If you arrive substantially before your studies, the border officer will have questions about your ability to support yourself before your classes start or the genuine nature of your intentions in Canada.