+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how easy it is to get a job as a civil engineer in Canada?

anie25

May 13, 2017
hi everyone, am new to this forum, and have some questions related the landing in Canada.
I am a civil engineer with approximately 5 years of experience, and this year i am thinking to apply for a PR to enter Canada.

Can you please share information on how easy/difficult is to find a job as soon as you land there?
And which place is best to settle in and find a job easily? i am thinking of entering in Toronto only, but i need suggestions and help.

Thank you in advance

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
hi everyone, am new to this forum, and have some questions related the landing in Canada.
I am a civil engineer with approximately 5 years of experience, and this year i am thinking to apply for a PR to enter Canada.

Can you please share information on how easy/difficult is to find a job as soon as you land there?
And which place is best to settle in and find a job easily? i am thinking of entering in Toronto only, but i need suggestions and help.

Thank you in advance
Hi,
These links might be useful in your case.
Please follow them.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/landed-four-months-ago-experience-so-far.481523/

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/landing-in-canada-all-you-need-to-know.36735/

Hope it helps.

Reactions: njay91 and anie25

amitmeamit

Oct 7, 2018
hey anie , how did you find getting a civil engineering job in canada? I am a structural engineer and i am also looking to move to canada

anie25

May 13, 2017
hey anie , how did you find getting a civil engineering job in canada? I am a structural engineer and i am also looking to move to canada
Hi Amit
Have not got yet the pr, now i am in the process and waiting. So cant tell anything yet.
Hope it won’t be that difficult for us there.
Ill keep u updated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is very competitive to get an engineering job in Toronto. Expect that it might take a while and you should probably be open to working in other cities.

anie25

May 13, 2017
It is very competitive to get an engineering job in Toronto. Expect that it might take a while and you should probably be open to working in other cities.
Can You suggest in which other cities might be easier to get e job as a civil engineer? (though as a starting im open to any job)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure. I would look around. Most new immigrants and a lot of Canadian engineers (including new Ontario grads) move to Toronto. You shouldn't limit your search to Toronto or Ontario.

TheHaiderRaja

Star Member
May 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Mechanical Engineer here working in the construction industry in Toronto. I did my undergrad in Canada so my experience is a little different.

There are a lot of new transportation infrastructure and construction projects in Toronto but the market is very competitive and you will need to network and apply to a lot of places. Grades do not matter; it's more about knowledge/experience, how much you're willing to learn, and your people/communication skills. Do not limit yourself to Toronto; its an expensive city and you will probably end up saving very little of what you earn.

Over the years I have met many new immigrants working in the industry for peanuts. Companies take advantage and offer new immigrants less than what a local person would get. I do notice that most new immigrants need some time to acclimatize to the Canadian work environment and become comfortable with their people and communication skills which could be the reason for their low wages. Most new immigrants try to learn as much as they can and work their ass off for a few years before jumping around and ending up in a decent position. Alternatively, you could enroll in a post-grad certificate course at a local college which has co-op placements. This will help you a lot in terms of networking and becoming familiar with the work environment.

anie25

May 13, 2017
Mechanical Engineer here working in the construction industry in Toronto. I did my undergrad in Canada so my experience is a little different.

There are a lot of new transportation infrastructure and construction projects in Toronto but the market is very competitive and you will need to network and apply to a lot of places. Grades do not matter; it's more about knowledge/experience, how much you're willing to learn, and your people/communication skills. Do not limit yourself to Toronto; its an expensive city and you will probably end up saving very little of what you earn.

Over the years I have met many new immigrants working in the industry for peanuts. Companies take advantage and offer new immigrants less than what a local person would get. I do notice that most new immigrants need some time to acclimatize to the Canadian work environment and become comfortable with their people and communication skills which could be the reason for their low wages. Most new immigrants try to learn as much as they can and work their ass off for a few years before jumping around and ending up in a decent position. Alternatively, you could enroll in a post-grad certificate course at a local college which has co-op placements. This will help you a lot in terms of networking and becoming familiar with the work environment.
HI, thanks a lot for the advice. i would really like to find a suitable job as soon as possible, even though i know it is going to be tough in the beginning.
When you apply for jobs do they cut you straight away because you don't have a local experience? how should i start approaching companies, or what other ways are there to apply and search for jobs. Any online portal perhaps? Thanks.

dsamerwyn

Mar 4, 2019
Hi Anie,

Just read your post on finding a suitable civil engineering job in Canada. I am planning to make the move as well, so have you managed to find a job in your field yet ?

Regards,

Merwyn
HI, thanks a lot for the advice. i would really like to find a suitable job as soon as possible, even though i know it is going to be tough in the beginning.
When you apply for jobs do they cut you straight away because you don't have a local experience? how should i start approaching companies, or what other ways are there to apply and search for jobs. Any online portal perhaps? Thanks.