+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How easy is to travel to US as a tourist while living in Canada?

Nov 2, 2021
Hi,

I am an Indian citizen and currently in India. I have a B2 visa. I am young and unmarried.

Whenever I travel to US as a tourist on B2 visa I get asked a lot of questions by airlines staff (both at boarding and at connecting flights). Usually the immigration officers are very friendly but the airlines staff are very annoying and quite rude. Some have even asked me to show employment proof in India and job details even when I was just traveling as a tourist to visit my friends in the US. I have had no problem travelling otherwise but it's just unpleasant.

I am now moving to Canada on a work permit. Since US is very close I plan to continue to travel there for tourism now and then on my B2 visa. Will I have an easier time travelling from Canada instead of India? Do airlines staff bother you? Please share your experiences

Thank you

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi,

I am an Indian citizen and currently in India. I have a B2 visa. I am young and unmarried.

Whenever I travel to US as a tourist on B2 visa I get asked a lot of questions by airlines staff (both at boarding and at connecting flights). Usually the immigration officers are very friendly but the airlines staff are very annoying and quite rude. Some have even asked me to show employment proof in India and job details even when I was just traveling as a tourist to visit my friends in the US. I have had no problem travelling otherwise but it's just unpleasant.

I am now moving to Canada on a work permit. Since US is very close I plan to continue to travel there for tourism now and then on my B2 visa. Will I have an easier time travelling from Canada instead of India? Do airlines staff bother you? Please share your experiences

Thank you
You are coming to Canada as a temporary worker. I don't think that will make a big difference for your US tourist visitor visa.
You may be seeing difference in attitude as you may be on shorter haul flight and airline staffs are N. American based.

They may still want your employment proof and job details to show as a genuine tourist.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021
You are coming to Canada as a temporary worker. I don't think that will make a big difference for your US tourist visitor visa.
You may be seeing difference in attitude as you may be on shorter haul flight and airline staffs are N. American based.

They may still want your employment proof and job details to show as a genuine tourist.
Thanks, will this change after getting a PR?

Nov 2, 2021
You still need a visitor visa but I think they prob may have less questions for a PR of Canada.
I already have a visitors visa. It is valid for 10 years.

This thread is only about the travel part.

Once I was singled out from a line before boarding my flight and the airlines employee asked me questions about my job after seeing my passport. Then he wanted to know who I was visiting in the US. It was a bit humiliating in front of the others.
However when I landed in the US, the immigration officer was very friendly after seeing my past travel history to the US and let me in with no issues.

I wanted to ask how other Indian citizens travel from Canada to US is.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I already have a visitors visa. It is valid for 10 years.

This thread is only about the travel part.

Once I was singled out from a line before boarding my flight and the airlines employee asked me questions about my job after seeing my passport. Then he wanted to know who I was visiting in the US. It was a bit humiliating in front of the others.
However when I landed in the US, the immigration officer was very friendly after seeing my past travel history to the US and let me in with no issues.

I wanted to ask how other Indian citizens travel from Canada to US is.
The questions you were asked are fairly typical and you can encounter the same questions throughout the world. There is no need to be offended. The airline is concerned about people being denied entry and having to arrange your return. Canadians have been asked these questions although usually by border agents.