+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How early to start applying for Canada Tourist Visa?

bunnienie88

Nov 5, 2018
Hi. I am planning to bring my family for a visit for 1 month only where I will be shouldering their expenses. The intended travel date is June 2023.
Can they apply as early as now? Even if it's about 10 months from now? I

I tried looking for sources and also visited CIC website but it does not explicitly mention something. I assume should be fine?

Let me know please if someone tried applying for more than 6 months and had granted Tourist Visa successfully. Thanks!

kumarh2020

Sep 15, 2020
Hi. I am planning to bring my family for a visit for 1 month only where I will be shouldering their expenses. The intended travel date is June 2023.

I tried looking for sources and also visited CIC website but it does not explicitly mention something. I assume should be fine?

Let me know please if someone tried applying for more than 6 months and had granted Tourist Visa successfully. Thanks!
With the delays and time it's taking between 160-200+ days, I would say apply now. Visitor Visa is granted for the length of the applicant's passport expiry. You may receive a rejection or your file may stay in processing status for almost 6+ months, so you may have to apply again. (yes one of the fees paid will be refunded if no result is of that application.)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

What do you mean by your family? Unless it is your spouse and dependent children your other family members are usually expected to show that they can pay for their own travel expenses. In a TRV they will need to show their own savings and assets and then you can show your finances as secondary information.

Reactions: kumarh2020

bunnienie88

Nov 5, 2018
To be clear, it's my parents (Mom is a housewife no personal income and Dad is retired) plus my brother.

I just want to know if anyone here has tried applying in advance (more than 6 months) for tourist visa with no issues. Thanks.

kumarh2020

Sep 15, 2020
To be clear, it's my parents (Mom is a housewife no personal income and Dad is retired) plus my brother.

I just want to know if anyone here has tried applying in advance (more than 6 months) for tourist visa with no issues. Thanks.
You can apply even a year in advance, people apply and change plans and don't travel for months after getting visa. In today's date, applying lets say on September 1st, there are 5% chances you'll get a response in 15-30 days, and 93% chance it'll drag out 6+ months in waiting for processing to happen. And there are 2% chances you'll never hear back, and end up re-applying only to wait for a few more months before a decision. So yes.. go ahead and apply if you want your parents and brother to come to Canada next summer.

Reactions: lucasinho

lucasinho

Star Member
Jul 28, 2022
Your family is your spouse and kids. If mom and dad cannot show proof of funds, you can apply for a super visa if you meet the requirements. Your brother needs to show his own funds and strong ties to home country. You can only send him an invitation letter.

The IRCC is dealing with huge backlogs, so it's advisable to apply at least 6 months in advance.

Reactions: kumarh2020