+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How early should my spouse apply for PR?

Caoilfhionn1

Feb 15, 2018
Me and my spouse are currently living in the US with our 3 young kids. I and my kids have Canadian citizenship but my husband is american. We are looking to move to canada Summer 2021. When should we start the Visa process for my husband? Do we need Jobs or a house in canada to start this process?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Me and my spouse are currently living in the US with our 3 young kids. I and my kids have Canadian citizenship but my husband is american. We are looking to move to canada Summer 2021. When should we start the Visa process for my husband? Do we need Jobs or a house in canada to start this process?
You should start your sponsorship application for him no earlier than a year before you intend to move to Canada. If you can't provide a reasonable proof of intention to return to Canada as soon as possible after the application is granted, they may well refuse you.

As of today's regulations, a house or job is not mandatory. Who knows what will happen in the future...

Caoilfhionn1

Feb 15, 2018
You should start your sponsorship application for him no earlier than a year before you intend to move to Canada. If you can't provide a reasonable proof of intention to return to Canada as soon as possible after the application is granted, they may well refuse you.

As of today's regulations, a house or job is not mandatory. Who knows what will happen in the future...
Do you think quite a bit of money in savings, fairly liquid assets, and family in the area we intend to move could be proof of intention?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Do you think quite a bit of money in savings, fairly liquid assets, and family in the area we intend to move could be proof of intention?
Not really. What they are looking for is evidence that you are looking for a job, somewhere to live, schools for the children etc. Family and friends will help, of course. Also, a clear narrative of what you are planning is a good idea. In fact, all we supplied was a letter with detailed plans. That was sufficient in our case.

Last edited:

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Wrong forum, go to Family Class Sponsorship, all topics are covered there...