+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How early is too early for Study Permit application?

Sep 22, 2013
Good day all,

Please, kindly give your guidance on the following:

I have been admitted into a school in Canada, and classes are scheduled to start by September 2014. However, due to some personal reasons, I intend deferring this admission till next year. This brings me to my first question:

Will I get a new admission letter IMMEDIATELY I defer my current admission or have to wait till next year before I get another admission letter?

Secondly, upon getting this newly issued admission letter, I intend submitting an application to the CIC for my Study Permit request against next year. So my second question is:

Can I apply to the CIC now (say by November 2014) against an admission which starts in September 2015. Hope my application won't be considered as too early? Or is there a rule that states the maximum number of days before one can apply for a study permit?

I would sincerely appreciate your prompt responses to these questions. God bless you as you do so.

Regards.

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
The Future is Now said:
Will I get a new admission letter IMMEDIATELY I defer my current admission or have to wait till next year before I get another admission letter?
Well that depends on your institute. You need to ask them that what is their policy. They will issue you your deferred Letter of Acceptance right now or later.

The Future is Now said:
Can I apply to the CIC now (say by November 2014) against an admission which starts in September 2015. Hope my application won't be considered as too early? Or is there a rule that states the maximum number of days before one can apply for a study permit?
There is no particular rule that you should submit your application by this time, etc....
You can find the processing time for your country from this link: http://cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp/students.asp

By all mean, you can submit your visa application just after getting your new Letter of Acceptance but it is recommended to submit it according to your country's timeline from the above link.

Sep 22, 2013
Hello Usman.

Thanks so much for your response. My institute is Memorial University of Newfoundland. Any idea of their policies? Though I intend emailing them on this enquiry.

Per the processing time, what I see here are 21 whole weeks for processing! So I believe applying around November/December 2014 against September 2015 should be just fine.

Regards.

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
The Future is Now said:
Hello Usman.

Thanks so much for your response. My institute is Memorial University of Newfoundland. Any idea of their policies? Though I intend emailing them on this enquiry.

Per the processing time, what I see here are 21 whole weeks for processing! So I believe applying around November/December 2014 against September 2015 should be just fine.

Regards.
Ammm.... You need to ask it from your university. They can guide you correctly as I don't have any such information for Memorial Uni.
Also, if you are targeting Fall 2015 then you can apply in JAN'15. It will be fine. Avoid applying in NOV/DEC as they are the busiest months with lot of applications. That's just my recommendations and not the hard wordings so you can also consult others. All the best.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

The Future is Now said:
Good day all,

Please, kindly give your guidance on the following:

I have been admitted into a school in Canada, and classes are scheduled to start by September 2014. However, due to some personal reasons, I intend deferring this admission till next year. This brings me to my first question:

Secondly, upon getting this newly issued admission letter, I intend submitting an application to the CIC for my Study Permit request against next year. So my second question is:

I would sincerely appreciate your prompt responses to these questions. God bless you as you do so.

Regards.

1. Wait till next year, otherwise your LOA is useless.
2. At the most 3 months in advance. If you apply now, you will get your PP back.