+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How early can I apply for new PR

ghjk87879

Jan 6, 2022
1-Soft Landing in Oct 2018
2- Moved permanently in Nov 2020 but constantantly commuting outside of country for weeks/ months internationally due to job obligations
3- 5 years getting completed in Oct 2023
4- I will barely have 2 months buffer to complete 2 year RO by Oct 2023
5- Current PR card expires in Jan 2024

Can I commute internationally after Oct 2023 if I don't meet RO (worst case even with buffer) but have unexpired PR card. I will still be in country 3 weeks per month in that year.
If my PR card gets lost, can I apply for new one and get extended expiry on the card or the new card will have same expiry as old one?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
2- Moved permanently in Nov 2020 but constantantly commuting outside of country for weeks/ months internationally due to job obligations

Can I commute internationally after Oct 2023 if I don't meet RO (worst case even with buffer) but have unexpired PR card. I will still be in country 3 weeks per month in that year.
If my PR card gets lost, can I apply for new one and get extended expiry on the card or the new card will have same expiry as old one?
You can apply for a new PR card up to 9 months before your current PR card expires.

You need to meet the residency requirement at the time you apply for a new PR card. Don't apply for a new PR card or replacement PR card if you don't meet the residency requirement.

You need to be holding a valid PR card (or PR Travel Document) in order to board a plane to return to Canada. You can only apply for the PR Travel Document from outside of Canada and once again, want to make sure you meet the residency obligation when you do so.

Yes, you can continue to travel internationally after October 2023 if you don't meet RO but you PR card is still valid. Be aware that there's always some risk of being reported at the border by CBSA if you don't meet the residency requirement. However I think this risk will be very low for you given you've been spending a lot of time in Canada lately.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You need to meet the residency requirement at the time you apply for a new PR card. Don't apply for a new PR card or replacement PR card if you don't meet the residency requirement.
To clarify (but I would appreciate confirmation from others): I believe 'be compliant with the residency requirement' in this case means formally complying with the requirement, i.e. including days remaining to end of the first five year period. In other words, not 730 days physically resident in Canada, but [days in Canada + days remaining to first five year anniversary > 730 days*]

Meaning, in the case of the OP, it should be okay to apply for a new card in eg February-March 2023 - as long as the above is true (and will continue to be true before the first five-year anniversary - to take account for fact it could be reviewed at any point.) Also warning, given the travel - very important to keep accurate track of days in/out of Canada. Given the two months buffer referred to by the OP, this hopefully should not be an issue and not held up in processing either. Hopefully.

*I restate that I think easier for many that this is/may be easier to track as total days outside Canada since day of landing must be less than 1095 days, just an arithmetic restatement of the requirements as written.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
To clarify (but I would appreciate confirmation from others): I believe 'be compliant with the residency requirement' in this case means formally complying with the requirement, i.e. including days remaining to end of the first five year period. In other words, not 730 days physically resident in Canada, but [days in Canada + days remaining to first five year anniversary > 730 days*]

Meaning, in the case of the OP, it should be okay to apply for a new card in eg February-March 2023 - as long as the above is true (and will continue to be true before the first five-year anniversary - to take account for fact it could be reviewed at any point.) Also warning, given the travel - very important to keep accurate track of days in/out of Canada. Given the two months buffer referred to by the OP, this hopefully should not be an issue and not held up in processing either. Hopefully.

*I restate that I think easier for many that this is/may be easier to track as total days outside Canada since day of landing must be less than 1095 days, just an arithmetic restatement of the requirements as written.
Yeah, that's true. If you landed less than 5 years ago, then you only need to show that you still have time to get 731 days at the completion of the first five years (from the day of landing, NOT from the day you get PR card).

(b) it is sufficient for a permanent resident to demonstrate at examination
  • (i) if they have been a permanent resident for less than five years, that they will be able to meet the residency obligation in respect of the five-year period immediately after they became a permanent resident;
  • (ii) if they have been a permanent resident for five years or more, that they have met the residency obligation in respect of the five-year period immediately before the examination
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/i-2.5/section-28.html

Fouad93

Apr 30, 2022
hello people :
I received the approval for private sponsorship of refugee since 18 august 2021,
Amman embassy told me the my file is currently pending officer review 30 Jan 2022,

would you please just tell me how much time still I need to move to canada ?
Thank you !

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hello people :
I received the approval for private sponsorship of refugee since 18 august 2021,
Amman embassy told me the my file is currently pending officer review 30 Jan 2022,

would you please just tell me how much time still I need to move to canada ?
Thank you !
Post your question to the Refugee / Asylum section of the forum.

May 11, 2022
Permanent residence cards are valid for up to 5 years. If your PR card expires within nine months, you can apply for a new one. If it has been lost or stolen you want report in the police and then you can apply for a new one.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

“Losing” your PR card is a bad idea. Misrepresenting the situation to IRCC, reporting the “loss to the police, etc. all bad ideas and some actually crimes. There will likely be a long period where you’ll be without a valid PR card.