+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How does Sponsorship Application affect Open Work Permit Application?

TriniKRN

Jun 20, 2019
Hi folks,

My wife, a born Canadian citizen, is about to apply to sponsor me using the inland route. We recently moved from the Caribbean (1 month ago), where I was the sole bread winner (IS Project Manager). My wife has been unemployed since 2016, upon impending birth of our second child. Though we know there is no need to prove finances in her case, we are concerned about how she should prove that she can handle the undertaking – especially as I am the breadwinner with seemingly great prospects (MSc., PMP). We have detailed this in the cover letter we are submitting with the application for sponsorship. I am submitting my application for an Open Work Permit along with my wife's application to sponsor me.

Here's the question:

The trends indicate that it currently takes 8 weeks to process the work permit. Will a decision on the eligibility for sponsorship be made before that? If the worst happens and she is declined (for instance because it is deemed that she cannot handle the undertaking), how does that affect my work permit application? Are they inextricably linked?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated as it helps us put contingencies in place.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
The odds of your sponsorship being denied are low. As long as you have some savings, and don't appear to be completely destitute, you'll be fine. Spousal sponsorships are not that hard.

TriniKRN

Jun 20, 2019
The odds of your sponsorship being denied are low. As long as you have some savings, and don't appear to be completely destitute, you'll be fine. Spousal sponsorships are not that hard.
Thanks 21Goose.

I guess the part that gets me is that the sponsor 'doesn't have to prove finances'. It seems that in the case where the sponsor was not the bread winner, regardless of the Principal Applicant's prospects, the sponsor will have to prove finances.

Btw, what does the 8 weeks in the Processing Times for Work Permits refer to?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks 21Goose.

I guess the part that gets me is that the sponsor 'doesn't have to prove finances'. It seems that in the case where the sponsor was not the bread winner, regardless of the Principal Applicant's prospects, the sponsor will have to prove finances.

Btw, what does the 8 weeks in the Processing Times for Work Permits refer to?
For spousal sponsorships it's got nothing to do with being the bread winner. Spouses don't need to meet LICO, they just need to show that they have enough money to take care of basic needs. As long as your sponsor isn't completely penniless, it will be ok.

The 8 weeks is for direct work permit applications. You aren't applying for a work permit directly, you're applying for sponsorship, and once that is approved in principal, then you are eligible for a work permit. The 8 weeks processing begins after the initial application is approved in principle, which takes a couple of months.

TriniKRN

Jun 20, 2019
For spousal sponsorships it's got nothing to do with being the bread winner. Spouses don't need to meet LICO, they just need to show that they have enough money to take care of basic needs. As long as your sponsor isn't completely penniless, it will be ok.

The 8 weeks is for direct work permit applications. You aren't applying for a work permit directly, you're applying for sponsorship, and once that is approved in principal, then you are eligible for a work permit. The 8 weeks processing begins after the initial application is approved in principle, which takes a couple of months.
Go it. Thanks 21Goose.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just wanted to clarify that you do intend on moving to Canada since you just moved a month ago. Unless your wife has been living in Canada she will have to qualify for healthcare again and that could mean 3 months without healthcare in some provinces.

TriniKRN

Jun 20, 2019
Just wanted to clarify that you do intend on moving to Canada since you just moved a month ago. Unless your wife has been living in Canada she will have to qualify for healthcare again and that could mean 3 months without healthcare in some provinces.
Yes we do intend such. She has already encounter this hitch. Also issues with the dormant SIN. :(

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes we do intend such. She has already encounter this hitch. Also issues with the dormant SIN. :(
Pretty normal to have to requalify for things if you have been out of Canada for long periods of time especially since you haven’t been paying into the system. You are supposed to advise your provincial health authority of any long absences to prevent any fraudulent use of your health card. You mentioned your wife is expecting so that could be an issue if you are trying to return.

TriniKRN

Jun 20, 2019
Pretty normal to have to requalify for things if you have been out of Canada for long periods of time especially since you haven’t been paying into the system. You are supposed to advise your provincial health authority of any long absences to prevent any fraudulent use of your health card. You mentioned your wife is expecting so that could be an issue if you are trying to return.
Yes we understand; just hadn't done our due diligence on that aspect of the move. No, she isn't expecting :). We had our daughter in 2016. She then decided to stay home until our daughter turned 3, which just happened.

TriniKRN

Jun 20, 2019

IMPORTANT!!! For anyone reviewing this thread for advice please note the following:

Although the advice from 21Goose is very helpful, there is a slight inaccuracy. I believe that 21Goose meant to say

"The 8 weeks is for direct work permit applications. You aren't applying for a work permit directly, you're applying for sponsorship, and once there is acknowledgement of receipt (AOR), then you are eligible for a work permit. The 8 weeks processing begins after the initial application receives acknowledgement of receipt, which takes a couple of months."

This is an important distinction as the Approval in Principle (AIP) is further down the line. If the OWP processing was reliant on that milestone, the whole process might seem daunting.

The link provided by 21Goose does not actually address when the OWP would be processed or approved, only what to do if you want to apply for the OWP before or after AIP.

So how do I know that it is the AOR that matters? Though at the time of writing I do not as yet have my OWP, for those reading this more than a month from now, please look at my signature below to see when I received it. At this time, many applicants from the August 2019 cohort have started receiving their Approved OWP less than a month after their AOR and without yet receiving their AIP. For us September 2019 folks, the AOR is taking about 50 days (including weekends).

I hope this helps someone. Like if it does. :)