+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How does health insurance work in Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Most likely, I will be working on a remote consulting job - Kinda offshore contractor. And my clients won't be from Canada.
Are you working from Canada? If not you may not be eligible for OHIP since there are residency requirements that come with every provincial health plan.

Who qualifies
To qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least one of the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home
You must also meet at least one of the following additional requirements. You:

• are a Canadian citizen
  • are an Indigenous person (registered under the federal Indian Act)
  • are a permanent resident (formerly called a “landed immigrant”)
  • have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
    • you meet the eligibility requirements to apply
    • you have not yet been denied
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-time in Ontario, for an Ontario employer, for at least six months
    • your spouse and any dependents also qualify if you do
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit under the federal Live-in Caregiver Program
  • are a convention refugee or other protected person (as defined by Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada)
  • have a Temporary Resident Permit (only certain case types, e.g. 86 through 95)
  • are a clergy member who can legally stay in Canada and is ministering full time in Ontario for at least six months
    • your spouse and any dependents also qualify if you do

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Does anyone have experience with moving from ON to BC and changing their health insurance? I have been covered with OHIP once in Toronto, but not sure how exactly it works here in Vancouver, BC. Any insights are appreciated!
Did you spend over 6 months in Ontario? Have you looked at the website for MSP? Sounds like you have been living abroad so you have to apply and wait the up to 3 months to qualify. BC has premiums that are geared to income. They are not huge premiums but that is one of the major differences. You do get a bit more because of the premiums.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Does American insurance work in Canada? Just curious..

Do you have any insurance provider that you would suggest. I am a 29 year old male with no major medical history.
Only international policies work from the US although some of the executive plans have coverage all over the place. I'm sure you have to be a US resident to purchase regular U health insurance. Travel plans may be different but read the fine print. Still unclear what your status is in Canada and how many days per year you will spend in Ontario that first year.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unlike ON, in BC you pay $37.50 per person for the provincial insurance plan (unless you qualify for premium assistance, in which case it is a lower rate). When you are changing provinces of residence, you should notify OHIP that you are leaving Ontario and will be residing in BC, so that your current OHIP coverage is still in effect during BC MSP waiting period (2 full months + the remainder of the month when you arrive in BC). You should also apply for BC MSP plan as soon as you arrive as it takes some time to have your application processed.

Here is the source - https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/how-to-enrol/coverage-wait-period

As for your OHIP coverage during your transition to MSP, OHIP will cover certain services outside ON i.e. physician services and hospitalization as long as it is considered medically necessary - https://www.ontario.ca/page/ohip-coverage-across-canada
Seems like the person has not been living in Ontario so likely applying like a new resident.

snowflayc

Star Member
Feb 23, 2017
Did you spend over 6 months in Ontario? Have you looked at the website for MSP? Sounds like you have been living abroad so you have to apply and wait the up to 3 months to qualify. BC has premiums that are geared to income. They are not huge premiums but that is one of the major differences. You do get a bit more because of the premiums.
Oh great. Yes I have spent there almost a year. I will check it out. Thanks again!

snowflayc

Star Member
Feb 23, 2017
Unlike ON, in BC you pay $37.50 per person for the provincial insurance plan (unless you qualify for premium assistance, in which case it is a lower rate). When you are changing provinces of residence, you should notify OHIP that you are leaving Ontario and will be residing in BC, so that your current OHIP coverage is still in effect during BC MSP waiting period (2 full months + the remainder of the month when you arrive in BC). You should also apply for BC MSP plan as soon as you arrive as it takes some time to have your application processed.

Here is the source - https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/how-to-enrol/coverage-wait-period

As for your OHIP coverage during your transition to MSP, OHIP will cover certain services outside ON i.e. physician services and hospitalization as long as it is considered medically necessary - https://www.ontario.ca/page/ohip-coverage-across-canada
That is a great summary. Thanks a lot. I have called and they confirmed it.

dphotawala

Star Member
Nov 16, 2018
Only international policies work from the US although some of the executive plans have coverage all over the place. I'm sure you have to be a US resident to purchase regular U health insurance. Travel plans may be different but read the fine print. Still unclear what your status is in Canada and how many days per year you will spend in Ontario that first year.
I will be living in Toronto 24*7 for years to come. For argument sake, let's say that I am going to be living there without any employment. Given this situation, can I get OHIP after I complete my landing or do I need to wait 6 month to apply for one?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I will be living in Toronto 24*7 for years to come. For argument sake, let's say that I am going to be living there without any employment. Given this situation, can I get OHIP after I complete my landing or do I need to wait 6 month to apply for one?
Yes if you are a PR you only have to wait 3 months. Anticipate CRA might start asking questions if you are living a good llife in Toronto while declaring no income

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
you will get OHIP coverage after 3 months of landing irrespective of your employment status.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes if you are a PR you only have to wait 3 months. Anticipate CRA might start asking questions if you are living a good llife in Toronto while declaring no income
You seem to be trying to work in the US while living permanently in Canada. You really need to be speaking to an immigration lawyer because you are not following a ton or immigration and tax laws. GC still uses country of origin so not sure how this gives you any huge advantage.

dphotawala

Star Member
Nov 16, 2018
You seem to be trying to work in the US while living permanently in Canada. You really need to be speaking to an immigration lawyer because you are not following a ton or immigration and tax laws. GC still uses country of origin so not sure how this gives you any huge advantage.
I don't intent to hide any income from CRA. So as long as I reveal my foreign income and pay appropriate tax, I don't see why I should be worried. BTW, I do agreed with you on the GC process. That said, I am not planning to find a faster route to USA through Canadian citizenship. I am not sure why would you presume that.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I don't intent to hide any income from CRA. So as long as I reveal my foreign income and pay appropriate tax, I don't see why I should be worried. BTW, I do agreed with you on the GC process. That said, I am not planning to find a faster route to USA through Canadian citizenship. I am not sure why would you presume that.
You said without employment in your post which is not your plan at all. You and your employer will have to figure out how you will work for them. Most PRs have to create their own companies and consult to remain employed by their US employers will living permanently in Canada if they don't live on the border and go to the US daily. All your previous posts are about trying to secure a better way to work and live in the US.

dphotawala

Star Member
Nov 16, 2018
You said without employment in your post which is not your plan at all. You and your employer will have to figure out how you will work for them. Most PRs have to create their own companies and consult to remain employed by their US employers will living permanently in Canada if they don't live on the border and go to the US daily. All your previous posts are about trying to secure a better way to work and live in the US.
Trust me, I have all my ducks in row when it comes to my H1-B. My employer already has an immigration lawyer that they consult with every now and then. This should take care of all immigration policies for United States.

As far as Canada goes, I have never heard about a restriction regarding foreign income (no matter the source). That said, I am still trying to understand your point. What is it that you fear I might be missing? As of now, I plan to maintain my PR status by staying in Canada 24*7. Further, I plan to apply for OHIP (after 3 months of wait period) while covering the rest through out-of-pocket insurance.