+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How doable is visiting and extending until PR approval?

sgp1986

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
I apologize if this is asked a lot, but how would it work if I "visited" while my PR is still being processed? I've always planned to wait until my PR is approved, but someone suggested I just go as a visitor and extend as needed. How doable is this?

My concerns are, I will be living with my brother until my PR is approved, so I won't have any proof of connection to still be living here, except maybe my job which I'm planning to keep and work remote when I move permanently. I'm planning on selling most of my belongings before moving, so I wont be showing up at the border with a uhaul or anything, but how do I convince them I'm just visiting? I will be flying back for work occasionally, but I'm wary of having to go through this every time (and now with the restrictions, paying for a hotel every time also), which was why I planned to wait til my PR is approved like you're supposed to.

If you guys need any additional info to give me a guesstimate on how I can do this, please let me know. I just want to be with my wife.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I apologize if this is asked a lot, but how would it work if I "visited" while my PR is still being processed? I've always planned to wait until my PR is approved, but someone suggested I just go as a visitor and extend as needed. How doable is this?

My concerns are, I will be living with my brother until my PR is approved, so I won't have any proof of connection to still be living here, except maybe my job which I'm planning to keep and work remote when I move permanently. I'm planning on selling most of my belongings before moving, so I wont be showing up at the border with a uhaul or anything, but how do I convince them I'm just visiting? I will be flying back for work occasionally, but I'm wary of having to go through this every time (and now with the restrictions, paying for a hotel every time also), which was why I planned to wait til my PR is approved like you're supposed to.

If you guys need any additional info to give me a guesstimate on how I can do this, please let me know. I just want to be with my wife.
You would need special authorization to enter Canada. Impossible to say if you'd be approved. CBSA could also deny you entry if you don't have proof that you are only visiting.

sgp1986

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
Special authorization? Sorry, I don't think I mentioned, my wife is there in Canada and sponsoring me, if that's what you were referring to.

That is my concern though. My last trip up there, they stamped me for 6 months, even though I was already leaving a few weeks later and had tickets back, but he told me he was just giving me all my options. Would I basically treat it like I do now, and say I have to be back for work soon, and hope for the best? I don't want to ruin anything with my PR but then I also want to be with my wife as soon as possible, and if we can plan for me to go up there in July whether its approved or not yet, then it would help with actually planning things instead of not knowing when we can make plans

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Special authorization? Sorry, I don't think I mentioned, my wife is there in Canada and sponsoring me, if that's what you were referring to.

That is my concern though. My last trip up there, they stamped me for 6 months, even though I was already leaving a few weeks later and had tickets back, but he told me he was just giving me all my options. Would I basically treat it like I do now, and say I have to be back for work soon, and hope for the best? I don't want to ruin anything with my PR but then I also want to be with my wife as soon as possible, and if we can plan for me to go up there in July whether its approved or not yet, then it would help with actually planning things instead of not knowing when we can make plans
Sorry misunderstood thought you were going to live with your brother in Canada until you got PR. If you are visa exempt or have a TRV you can enter with proof that you are married to a Canadian/PR. You'll likely need to go into the quarantine hotel first. Would show proof of a return ticket that you cancel but you should have no problems extending your visitor status for over 6 months if needed if waiting for your PR. You could be asked about a job or address in our home country or asked about how you will be able to fund your stay.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I would be a bit careful in your position, the immigration officer will know your spouse is in the country and you have a sponsorship application in process, they may be a bit wary about whether you are visiting or are trying to remain permanently in the country. At this point in time you aren't allowed to do that, so you have to make sure you bring sufficient evidence that you intend to return to your home country within the duration of your visitor visa/duration allowed according to your ETA.

Prepare yourself to face questions relating to the officer gaining comfort on your intention to return.

sgp1986

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
Sorry for the misunderstanding, and thanks for the input. I did mean I'd be staying here with my brother until I'm able to move to Canada, meaning not technically renting and on a lease.

I agree, I definitely don't want to put my PR application in jeopardy. My last trip was in Dec and my pr application was already submitted, the border agent just made sure I knew I couldn't stay past the 6 months he stamped me for, and I told him I'm only there for a few weeks. He didn't question me much, so I guess it really does depend on who you get.

Also, if I go there in July, we will likely be driving. I've read that crossing a land border doesn't require the hotel stay, as far as I've seen? I'm assuming land border crossing isn't much different with how they question you?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Sure, but every encounter with a border agent is different. You may run into one who is going to scrutinise your entry more closely, so you can't rely on a smooth interaction you had previously as a basis for thinking that it will be the same every time. Some of them are known to be very strict, so i would gather and be ready to present all the information which would convince them that i'm returning at the end of my stay. So that would stuff like a letter of employment, proof of residence, and so on.

By land so far you have to present a negative PCR test.

sgp1986

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
That makes sense. Maybe I'll have to make up a lease agreement with my brother for proof of residence, maybe have an email from work showing I need to be back by x date, things like that. *HOPEFULLY* my PR will go smooth and none of this will be necessary

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That makes sense. Maybe I'll have to make up a lease agreement with my brother for proof of residence, maybe have an email from work showing I need to be back by x date, things like that. *HOPEFULLY* my PR will go smooth and none of this will be necessary
Do not lie to CBSA. That will just potentially get you in more trouble. As long as you are visiting you are find. Currently there is no hotel quarantine by land but that could change.

Reactions: YVR123

plutôt

Feb 27, 2021
bonjour tout le monde s'il vous plaît j'ai rempli le formulaire depuis 3 jour a pré j'ai reçu un message qui parle de express entre :671candidats PNP invites les candidats d'entre express qui ont reçu une nomination provincial ont été invités a présentér une demande de résidence permanente et pour tant moi ja tendais mon résultat j'ai encore rempli le formulaire hier pour voir donc moi je ne comprends rien merci