+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do you determine what your NOC Code is "for sure"

rockubabe

Jun 4, 2010
Hi,
It's quite hard to find a job that exactly matches with the job titles listed on the HRSDC website.
My job ends with ____"assistant" but my duties are closer to the _____"officer", that is under NOC 0,A,B.
How do your work experience eligibility and qualification are determined by the immigration officer?
Do they reject if your job title is not one of those listed?
I heard that a reference letter from your employer is an important factor.
Then..do they actually call the employer and company to check? like people check references after a job interview?
I appreciate it if any can answer my questions.
Thanks in advance!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
If it is something like a "program assistant" and you have a university degree, I think you can use the same code as "program officer". The title doesn't have to match, but the main duties / responsibilities do, and your supervisor's letter has to document that....

rockubabe

Jun 4, 2010
I just declined the job offer because of the job title.
It would be written as _____ "assistant" on a letter of offer but it would be inconsistant if I claim as _____ "officer".
Even if I get a reference letter from my supervisor, there is a discrepancy between a letter of offer and a reference letter regarding the title of position.
Ah...it really sucks.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I can't say whether that was the best decision (the title does NOT have to match), but in the future you can ask a potential employer what NOC the position is... And the NOC is posted when a position is advertised on jobbank.gc.ca (they may not aways be correct, tho). And the employer gets an LMO or AEO from HRSDC, the NOC is listed on the document.

rockubabe

Jun 4, 2010
Thanks for the reply but not everybody looks for jobs on the jobbank.gc.ca. Plus, I have seen so many jobs that are overevaluated. For example, most level C jobs are classified as level B jobs on that website.

Most companies do not strictly classify and assign each postiion National Occupation Code. I might get a reference letter stating my duties focused on Level B but the title itself is a level C (____ assistant). I don't think changing the title to sound more like a level B job is possible because this is quite a big company and a local employee union is involved. Immigration officers can call anyone they want to verify. I don't know what's going to happen if they see a discrepancy between a job and job duties. I haven't seen the successful case from previous applicants yet. I feel it's risky......

I work with open work permit so LMO is out of picture to me.