+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do you answer these questions in the Work Permit application?

alex996

Dec 25, 2016
Hey everyone, I'll be soon applying for the PGWP (Post-Graduation Work permit) and I found a few confusing questions in the application form (IMM5710E). (They are common to other work permit apps as well, not just PGWP by the way)

1. Page 2, Section "Coming Into Canada", Q1: date and place of your original entry to Canada

Do you put you very first visit ever to Canada (a long time ago), or do you specify the most recent visit when you received your current status (temporary resident)?

2. Page 4, Section "Background Information" Q. 2, Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada

Again, is this question asking about the work permit specifically, or is it referring to ANY application that you've ever submitted (such as travel visa for ex.)?

3. (Ok, this question is specific to PGWP only ;) Page 3, Section "Details of Intended work in Canada" - asking for details about employer

I've read online that you don't need to have a job to get a PGWP (although the official CIC website never mentions this...). Yet I noticed that you can enter this info in the app form. So, if I do hold a job currently, should I mention them as my employer? What if I don't know when the employment is going to end (but the application is asking about that)? And more importantly, if I do mention them, will I also have to provide any extra documents with my app? (Like employment offer or LMIA/LMO -- I hope not!)

4. Lastly, Page 1, Section 3.: I am applying for one or more of the following (4 options)

I'm guessing you'd choose "temporary residency" AND "initial work permit or work permit with a new employer"? (for PGWP) At the same time you don't need a separate application for TRV (Temporary Resident Visa), right?

Thank you!

P.S. Asking here, because CIC's help lines have "too many calls" non-stop 24/7. It's unbelievably hard to reach them...

Serenity

May 18, 2013
1. Page 2, Section "Coming Into Canada", Q1: date and place of your original entry to Canada

Answer: most recent visit when you received your current status (temporary resident)

2. Page 4, Section "Background Information" Q. 2, Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada
Answer: referring to ANY application that you've ever submitted (such as travel visa for ex.)

These are the questions I have answers to. I have never applied for a PGWP.

alex996

Dec 25, 2016
Thanks Serenity!

I guess for Q3, I'll mention my employer anyways, and for Q4, I'll choose both the work permit and temporary residency options.