+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do taxes work for Dual Citizens (British and Canadian)?

fitter_happier

Star Member
Aug 14, 2016
Hey,

I am Scottish born and bred so I have a British passport. Next month I should be flying back for the Citizenship ceremony but I've been residing in Scotland for the last couple of years and will be residing in Scotland for the foreseeable future due to current circumstances.

My question is this.

When I become a Dual citizen soon and hold both a British passport, and a Canadian one, will I be expected to pay any Canadian taxes if I am residing in the UK and working for a British employer?

I am not too sure how it works exactly. Surely I wouldn't pay any Canadian taxes unless I actually worked and lived in Canada again after becoming a dual citizen?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey,

I am Scottish born and bred so I have a British passport. Next month I should be flying back for the Citizenship ceremony but I've been residing in Scotland for the last couple of years and will be residing in Scotland for the foreseeable future due to current circumstances.

My question is this.

When I become a Dual citizen soon and hold both a British passport, and a Canadian one, will I be expected to pay any Canadian taxes if I am residing in the UK and working for a British employer?

I am not too sure how it works exactly. Surely I wouldn't pay any Canadian taxes unless I actually worked and lived in Canada again after becoming a dual citizen?
No, you won't. If you are classified as a non-resident, then you don't need to file taxes.

Reactions: snoopyta

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Hey,

My question is this.

You file taxes wherever you live for more than 6 months.

Grassquit

Star Member
Jan 23, 2021
I would recommend talking to a tax accountant - you can likely find someone who will do a free consultation. Canada does have a more US-like system of taxing overseas income than the UK system, but there are tax treaties to prevent (mitigate at least) dual taxation. I'm expecting to work overseas in the next few years and my understanding is that I'll be liable for (some) Canadian tax even if my income is paid overseas. Chances are good that you won't have the ties to Canada that might designate you resident (property, family, bank accounts, drivers licence) but you will be a citizen so you'll want to be sure that you're not considered resident by virtue of that alone.

This is also a general note to all that tax residency questions can be a bit more complicated than where you live or where you're paid. Sometimes it's that simple but best not to assume.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents-tax.html