+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do people in Canada practice with for the driver's license?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
frankfurtvancouver said:
Thanks everyone for the answers. Does anyone know how much the total cost could be (if I use driving lessons only and no one else to practice with other than driving instructors)?
More than 2000$?
Probably way too much..I pulled one up in Vancouver..

http://fraserdrivingschool.com/m/practical.html

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
frankfurtvancouver said:
Thanks everyone for the answers. Does anyone know how much the total cost could be (if I use driving lessons only and no one else to practice with other than driving instructors)?
More than 2000$?
Depends on how fast you learn, doesn't it? :) In any case, since you have a year to practice after you get your learners, there's not much point in starting lessons right away because you do not want to be paying for lessons for a whole year and there is no point in being ready for the road test months before you can take it.

You can start taking lessons about 2-3 months before you want to take the test. During the 9-10 months prior to starting lessons, you can work on meeting people and making friends, some of whom may be 25 or older and have a car and are willing to teach you how to drive. If you are afraid to drive with a friend, you can start by taking a few paid lessons first.

If you move back to Germany at some point, you will be able to exchange your Canadian drivers license for a German one.

r_mittal86

Apr 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
frankfurtvancouver said:
More than 2000$?
It depends on your circumstances; if you are a novice to driving then you would take classroom sessions/ driving lessons (driving lessons cost approx $ 25-35/hr; mine were 30/hr). Rough estimate for Classroom + 20 Driving lessons would be = 1000-1200.
If you want to use your instructor's car for road test then $ 100-120 (per test; extra charges for test at location outside your city) for that.

This is all is in addition to what your licensing authority would charge for 5 year license, knowledge test and road test (knowledge and road test are charged for every attempt). Ontario is expensive when it comes to fees for road test (knowledge test + 5 year license + road test for G2 license would be $158). If you are experienced and have driver's license abstract with min 3 years experience then you can bypass this and take G road test which costs $89. In case you pass this G test then your $54 (road test fee for G2 road test) are refunded from $158 charged above.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
frankfurtvancouver said:
More than 2000$?
The total cost will really depend on whether you're a new driver or not.

I came to Canada like yourself as an Int'l Student when I was 19 with somewhat 3 years' old license. Being a car enthusiast, I knew if I went for licensing at that time; it would kill me if I didn't drive. So, I didn't take the test till I was in 3rd year. But at times, I drove my friends' cars for really short distances within city.

After I passed G1 written test in Ontario, I took only 4 road lessons with a 'cool' instructor ($40 for each). For the last 3 lessons, he brought his personal truck (without any additional brake) F150 and I got to drive it on the highway (because he used to forget that I was only going for G2). :D

Right after passing G2, I bought my first car in Canada. We used to take lot of road trips to US as well. So, that's how I got ready for my G. Although I almost waited 5 years to take it (just before the expiry). I didn't take any lesson, found the usual route where test is taken from Google and practiced once/twice on same route. I passed all my tests on my first attempts.

On the contrary, my wife, being a completely new driver, had to take 13 -14 road lessons. She also practiced with me. So, it was much more expensive with her. She still has to take G and would perhaps need few more lessons.

viveksharma

Feb 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
Doc's Request.
PCC sent with Medicals
Nomination.....
01-10-2014
AOR Received.
Not Received
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Guess mid Jun-2016
Med's Request
18-11-2014
Med's Done....
24-11-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
In BC, Vancouver/Barnaby, I inquired and one of the schools told me that it charges $55 for 1 hr or $80 for 1.5 hrs. Too costly. Anybody knows any school with better rates in Burnaby/Vancouver area, BC

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
viveksharma said:
In BC, Vancouver/Barnaby, I inquired and one of the schools told me that it charges $55 for 1 hr or $80 for 1.5 hrs. Too costly. Anybody knows any school with better rates in Burnaby/Vancouver area, BC
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/lss/6028628422.html

viveksharma

Feb 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
Doc's Request.
PCC sent with Medicals
Nomination.....
01-10-2014
AOR Received.
Not Received
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Guess mid Jun-2016
Med's Request
18-11-2014
Med's Done....
24-11-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
foodie69 said:
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/lss/6028628422.html
Thank you. Rate is awesome. Do you or your acquaintances have any experience with this instructor.