+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do people in Canada practice with for the driver's license?

frankfurtvancouver

May 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm an International Student in Canada and finally want to do my driver's license now. Now I read that here in BC, you first do the written test and then you get a "Learner's License" for one year. During this year, you need both a car and a person over 25 available to practice driving. After one year of doing this, you can then do the actual road test.

Where I'm from, you have to practice during driving lessons and with a driving instructor, not otherwise.

Here in Canada, I have no one over 25 and no car to practice with me. How can I still get my driver's license (N) within a year? How can I practice? I bet Canadians do this with their parents/relatives, but this isn't available to me here.

Thank you

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
frankfurtvancouver said:
I'm an International Student in Canada and finally want to do my driver's license now. Now I read that here in BC, you first do the written test and then you get a "Learner's License" for one year. During this year, you need both a car and a person over 25 available to practice driving. After one year of doing this, you can then do the actual road test.

Where I'm from, you have to practice during driving lessons and with a driving instructor, not otherwise.

Here in Canada, I have no one over 25 and no car to practice with me. How can I still get my driver's license (N) within a year? How can I practice? I bet Canadians do this with their parents/relatives, but this isn't available to me here.

Thank you
Same as in your country. Hire a driving instructor.

If you're particularly bold, I drove unattended on my ON G1 learner's licence and followed all the rules so as not to get caught (I already have several years of driving experience from my home country). I've since gotten my G2 licence, but yeah.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
If you are concerned about driving, I would suggest you get a drivers license in your home country to start. Probably a little more familiar.

Once you have your license there (even if not directly transferable to Canada) you can probably get an international license in your home country that will permit you to drive in Canada for a little while until you can get a Canadian license.

Good luck

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
NetMecca said:
If you are concerned about driving, I would suggest you get a drivers license in your home country to start. Probably a little more familiar.

Once you have your license there (even if not directly transferable to Canada) you can probably get an international license in your home country that will permit you to drive in Canada for a little while until you can get a Canadian license.

Good luck
OP indicated that they are already in Canada, and their nickname suggests the home country is Germany...AFAIK, it's actually harder to get a licence there than in Canada.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Shop around for Cheap Indian/Chinese driving instructors. Check with your University/College mates. Such instructors provide training in their own car and charge around 40% less than Driving Schools.

r_mittal86

Apr 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bellaluna said:
Same as in your country. Hire a driving instructor.

If you're particularly bold, I drove unattended on my ON G1 learner's licence and followed all the rules so as not to get caught (I already have several years of driving experience from my home country). I've since gotten my G2 licence, but yeah.
I wouldn't recommend anyone to play with the rules, you shouldn't have drove on your own with G1. This is a mistake at your part.
Do the right thing even if no one is watching.

arunsgirl

Star Member
Feb 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2011 re-submitted April 1st
AOR Received.
24-05-2011
File Transfer...
14-05-2011
Med's Done....
21-12-2010
LANDED..........
16-08-2011
In my country is the same as yours: driving school. In Canada you have two options: drive with a relative who has a driving licence or pay for driving school (they are called driving instructors, or driving learning centre, you'll find them on google). With the driving school you can learn using your own car or if you don't have one the instructor's car. But it will not be like the cars in Europe where the instructor has the breaks on his side too, in Canada it's just a regular car. Be aware when driving: each province has it's own driving rules so make sure to get informed on those when visiting or moving to another Canadian province.

All the best.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Driving lessons are expensive. Consider it like an investment as it could open up many job opportunities if you are able to drive.

rajanvnv

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
xpressentry said:
Driving lessons are expensive. Consider it like an investment as it could open up many job opportunities if you are able to drive.
Not to forget that it is an acquisition of a new life Skill in countries like Canada and US where you predominantly travel by Car than by other means. Hence, it justifies the investment.

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
frankfurtvancouver said:

Thank you
Assuming by the name you go with here you are from Germany? If yes do you not have already done your German driver license? Again if yes here is more information: http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
APPNOV2014NY said:
Shop around for Cheap Indian/Chinese driving instructors. Check with your University/College mates. Such instructors provide training in their own car and charge around 40% less than Driving Schools.
Yeah, cheap is good..NOT

r_mittal86

Apr 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arunsgirl said:
In my country is the same as yours: driving school. In Canada you have two options: drive with a relative who has a driving licence or pay for driving school (they are called driving instructors, or driving learning centre, you'll find them on google). With the driving school you can learn using your own car or if you don't have one the instructor's car. But it will not be like the cars in Europe where the instructor has the breaks on his side too, in Canada it's just a regular car. Be aware when driving: each province has it's own driving rules so make sure to get informed on those when visiting or moving to another Canadian province.

All the best.
Its not right, my instructor has car with brake on his side too. Driving with relative is an option but experts (instructors) are there for some reason, they give you tips which a normal person may overlook. I am quite happy with my instructor. Afterall I passed my driving test with his coaching only even though I had 15 years of experience driving back home.

arunsgirl

Star Member
Feb 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2011 re-submitted April 1st
AOR Received.
24-05-2011
File Transfer...
14-05-2011
Med's Done....
21-12-2010
LANDED..........
16-08-2011
Cool, I didn't know they can have the breaks and everything, thanks for clarifying that r_mittal86. None of my instructors had it. If you are a complete beginner, try finding one of these, absolutely. :)

frankfurtvancouver

May 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks everyone for the answers. Does anyone know how much the total cost could be (if I use driving lessons only and no one else to practice with other than driving instructors)?
More than 2000$?