+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How Do I relinquish my PR

realeasy

May 31, 2013
I recently got my green card. I cross border every week and I am stopped every time. I like to relinquish my canadian PR, how do I do that? Is it a easy process?

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013 DM....:20-06-2013 IN CANADA SINCE:...2008
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
You should get a Nexus Card, look it up. Its like an express pass. For crossing the US and Canad border, They do a background check on you and you pay a fee. I will post the website for more info.
If you have a nexus card you just show the card and your passport and away you go, no questions asked.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/elig-admis-eng.html

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
Yes, Canadian or Us Permanent residents can apply for a nexus card. That way you don't have to renounce your CANADA PR because with a nexus card they don't stop your for to long at the border over and over again. and as far as I know there is a lane for NExus card holder.
Everything is in the website I gave. It also shows you how to apply.

You gotta remember that if you renounce your PR you have to go through the whole immigration process again if you want it back. So no its not easy unless you want to lose it.

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
No but I know a bunch of people that has it its not hard its like applying for a Drivers license, You will get an interview and a US and a Canada will interview you one after the other. And you will know if you are approved Right then and there and receive the NExus card. If you have nothing to hide you should be fine. why are you so worried?

realeasy

May 31, 2013
may be you just don't understand what I am talking about... it is not very much easily accepted having PR from two countries..

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
Ok sorry now I undertand more your dillema,

Here is a link of something I read.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_someone_legally_be_a_permanent_resident_of_two_countries_without_being_a_citizen_of_either_i.e._Can_one_be_a_resident_of_the_U.S._and_of_Canada_at_once

Which you may have read before too.

A nexus card may not work for you.

apparently it is easy to renounce the PR status but Once you give it up and want it back You will be back to square one so if you have to choose one. choose wisely although I am aware that having just the green card you can go to canada without needing a canadian visit visa. But it will make you loose all Canadian PR benefits, like health care etc.

I hope someone else can read this and answer more you question! Good luck!

v4x

Star Member
May 3, 2010
My husband wrote an e-mail to local Canadian Embassy to relinquish his PR status, but haven't got reply, they asked him to submit some pictures and fill up a form (it's regarding applying travel documents) but no reply, do you think they process such request? we changed mind, hope nothing has been done, since we didn't receive anything.

realeasy

May 31, 2013
the following is what I received from CIC.

-------------------------------------

Sir, Madam,

Thank you for contacting Citizenship and Immigration Canada. I am pleased to follow up on your request:
Voluntary Relinquishment of Permanent Resident Status
Permanent residents who no longer wish to have that status may advise Immigration Officers overseas or at a Canadian port of entry.
Provisions exist for clients to voluntarily relinquish their status in exceptional circumstances.
A person may be allowed to relinquish their permanent resident status if an officer determines that the individual is willingly giving up their status and fully understands the consequences of that choice. If the officer is satisfied the client is asked to sign a declaration to that effect and can then be considered as a foreign national.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
realeasy said:
the following is what I received from CIC.

-------------------------------------

Sir, Madam,

Thank you for contacting Citizenship and Immigration Canada. I am pleased to follow up on your request:
Voluntary Relinquishment of Permanent Resident Status
Permanent residents who no longer wish to have that status may advise Immigration Officers overseas or at a Canadian port of entry.
Provisions exist for clients to voluntarily relinquish their status in exceptional circumstances.
A person may be allowed to relinquish their permanent resident status if an officer determines that the individual is willingly giving up their status and fully understands the consequences of that choice. If the officer is satisfied the client is asked to sign a declaration to that effect and can then be considered as a foreign national.
Ease of PR voluntary relinquishment depends on if you meet the Residence Obligation. If you don't meet the RO and are overseas then apply for a Travel Document which will be refused. If you don't appeal in 60 days then your PR status is lost.

1. If you meet the RO still apply for a PRTD and add a letter to the effect that you meet the RO but wish to relinquish your PR and waive all appeal rights. The visa office may send you some paperwork or call you in for interview where you will sign some paperwork. This to the effect that you know what you are giving up.

2. If you turn up at a Port of Entry and don't meet the RO then tell CBSA at Secondary inspection who will write out a Sec 44 report to commence the removal/loss of PR. If you don't appeal in 30 days you've lost your PR. This is not a good option because it leads to the issuance of departure orders which can turn into deportation orders if you end up staying in Canada for more than the 30 days to appeal.

3. If you turn up at a Port of Entry and meet the RO tell CBSA you wish to relinquish. You will sign some paperwork to this effect. Again watch out if issued a departure order. Can't remember what the window is to change your mind with this or if you could but an obvious risk is you relinquish PR at the border then the CBSA agent bounces you on the basis that you may not be a bona-fide visitor (with US GC/visitor visa exempt passport).

4. Depending on your situation maybe you should apply for Canadian Citizenship. Is the issue with CBP or CBSA at the border?

realeasy

May 31, 2013
I do meet the residency obligation. Last year my PR was renewed and it is good until 2017. Since my PR was renewed last year I have physical presence in Canada for about 250+ days.

The problem is that with one CBSA officer saying I cannot hold both Green Card and PR and I should relinquish the PR. I asked her to relinquish it right away but she said it is long process and asked me to come another time. Next time I went to the Border to relinquish it. I was made to wait for 45 mins and then the officer told me that I cannot relinquish my PR as it has still time left and also you have established residency since last year, but keep track of your in and out in an excel (as I am doing now)

But the problem is I am flagged in their system and each time when I come in to Canada, I am asked to go for secondary inspection. When I go inside, and show my paper work I am let go.

Now not sure how to remove the flag. Last time when I entered US I was stopped as well and questioned. I checked with my US lawyer and he said I can hold both status in the US and they cannot stop me for that in US.

Yesterday I called CBSA customer service. The person told next time ask for a supervisor and make him explain what is happening..

Trust me, meeting this border officers are really pain and very unpleasant.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. I would ignore the CBSA agent....the residence obligation for Canadian PRs is 730 days of physical presence in each 5 year rolling period. So any day if you look back 5 years and have 730 days then you are good (if you got your PR more than 5 years ago as you have).

2. The US is a different ball game. To keep your GC you need to show you have residence in the US that you do not intend to / have not abandoned. There is no 2/5 year pass like Canada so the CBP agent can pull your GC at any time when you enter and its apparent you don't live in the US.

3. Your US GC is more at risk...do you work in the US? Do you file US taxes? Do you have a US DL? How did you get the GC? Where do you actually live most of the time? Your luck may run out one day if you are playing hard and fast with the GC and using it like a glorified visitors visa!

4. Get access to your files via an ATIP request Canada and via CBP US to see why you are being flagged. Sorry to ask but do/did you have have any issues with the law on either side of the border? Outstanding tickets, warrants? Maybe your name matches someone with a profile.

5. What's more of a major hassle - going to CBSA Secondary Inspection as a PR knowing you will eventually get admitted or as a US GC holder seeking admission as a visitor (post Canadian PR relinquish) and being at the mercy of the agent...he/she may think you are here to find work and bounce you back to the US! Maybe think this over again?