+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do I prove that I won't stay in Canada after I graduate from university?

carl2341

Feb 20, 2014
The reason I am asking this is that I am currently planning on applying for a study permit in Canada and I have heard of people who were denied it on the basis that they failed to prove they won't stay in the country after they graduate from university. How does a 19-year-old, who just recently graduated from High School and doesn't have a job, prove that they have the intention to return to their home country after the completion of their studies? I am so confused.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Read this forum. Let's say topics on couple of first pages, and you will get an idea what CIC is looking at. Then think what you could provide.

In short- for 19 year-old not much :
- your reasonable plans at home country after graduation
- your family establishment in your home country
- any relatives in Canada? How did they get there?

carl2341

Feb 20, 2014
Regina said:
Read this forum. Let's say topics on couple of first pages, and you will get an idea what CIC is looking at. Then think what you could provide.

In short- for 19 year-old not much :
- your reasonable plans at home country after graduation
- your family establishment in your home country
- any relatives in Canada? How did they get there?

I did read the forum, but haven't found much info on this particular topic. However, quite a few members have said they were denied a study permit simply because they were unable to prove they would return to their home countries after graduation. And that concerns me a lot, because there's no way I can prove I will not stay in Canada after I complete my studies.
No, I don't have any relatives (or even friends, for that matter) in Canada. I guess that helps, right?

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, it is good that you do not have relatives in Canada. :)

You should make an adjustment that people whose SP was rejected were mature persons with degrees and work history. That's why there are different demands to them. Nobody expects a 19yr old has the same ties with the home country as adults could have. But then CIC looks at your parents and their establishment in home country. And of course write a good SOP.
For example, why this particular program? What are perspectives at home after graduation? Why do not you go to university in home country? Why Canada and not UK or Australia?

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
carl2341 said:
The reason I am asking this is that I am currently planning on applying for a study permit in Canada and I have heard of people who were denied it on the basis that they failed to prove they won't stay in the country after they graduate from university. How does a 19-year-old, who just recently graduated from High School and doesn't have a job, prove that they have the intention to return to their home country after the completion of their studies? I am so confused.
This is the most used reason for decline out there.

It is very had to say exactly what convinces the VO that you will return. In your case I think it would be how well your family is established in your home country (property, job stabliity) and your future prospects in your country. Also it helps a lot if there is positive travel history. This is you have visited developed (read: WESTERN) countries before and have come back without overstaying your visa. No western country wants to be the FIRST one to give you a visa because they are afraid of exactly what you mentioned

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
carl2341 said:
That makes no sense. In fact Canada WANTS you to stay after you finish your studies, that is why they created PGWP, to create a venue to insert foreign students into their productive labor force. Professional immigrants with Canadian studies are the top class of immigration.

I have never heard of such a denial, as long as the University issues a letter of reference (conditional acceptance) you shouldn't worry about this.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
Jalex23 said:
That makes no sense. In fact Canada WANTS you to stay after you finish your studies, that is why they created PGWP, to create a venue to insert foreign students into their productive labor force. Professional immigrants with Canadian studies are the top class of immigration.

I have never heard of such a denial, as long as the University issues a letter of reference (conditional acceptance) you shouldn't worry about this.
Really? What dream world are you living in? SP applicants get declined for this reason ALL the time

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In fact Canada WANTS you to stay after you finish your studies
LEGALLY. Not by all means, for any reason and for any cost, BUT ONLY legally. And what "Canada" looks at is that an international student is not in a desperate situation to stay in Canada by any means because there is nothing in his country of origin that could prevent him from wishing to go there and will force him to stay in Canada ILLEGALLY. That why they insist you have to have YOUR money and not borrowed from all available sources (loan from the bank for studying abroad is ok because it is issued under some guarantor in your country of origin), not from a desperate family who pulled out money collectively to send a student to a developed country where he will clench to Canada for any cost even illegally.

carl2341

Feb 20, 2014
txboyscout said:
This is the most used reason for decline out there.

It is very had to say exactly what convinces the VO that you will return. In your case I think it would be how well your family is established in your home country (property, job stabliity) and your future prospects in your country. Also it helps a lot if there is positive travel history. This is you have visited developed (read: WESTERN) countries before and have come back without overstaying your visa. No western country wants to be the FIRST one to give you a visa because they are afraid of exactly what you mentioned
I do have a positive travel history. I have been to the US twice. I'm so glad that helps! Thank you.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
carl2341 said:
I do have a positive travel history. I have been to the US twice. I'm so glad that helps! Thank you.
That should really work in your favour. Good Luck!