+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do i have health card for my wife and daughter?

SUMAN BHATT

May 8, 2019
India
Hello friends

1. My husband ison work visa in Toronto and he has health card..
I just got visa approval for me and my daughter.. I am 4 month pregnant.. We are coming to Canada in June..
Can me and my daughter apply for the health card immediately after reaching Canada..
2. Are we eligible if my husband is eligible for the health card and he is on legal work visa??

3. How much total time it will take for the whole process??

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello friends

1. My husband ison work visa in Toronto and he has health card..
I just got visa approval for me and my daughter.. I am 4 month pregnant.. We are coming to Canada in June..
Can me and my daughter apply for the health card immediately after reaching Canada..
2. Are we eligible if my husband is eligible for the health card and he is on legal work visa??

3. How much total time it will take for the whole process??
If on SOWP you and your child can apply on arrival but will only get coverage in 3 months.

Last edited:
Reactions: SUMAN BHATT

SUMAN BHATT

May 8, 2019
India
My husband is on work visa. And me and my daughter are dependent on him.. We will be there on dependent visa.. In that condition, can spouse(wife) apply the health card immediately after arrival?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My husband is on work visa. And me and my daughter are dependent on him.. We will be there on dependent visa.. In that condition, can spouse(wife) apply the health card immediately after arrival?
No you don’t qualify in Ontario. Wife doesn’t qualify for health coverage if only the husband works.

SUMAN BHATT

May 8, 2019
India
How do i know this ?? My husband has applied visa for me and my daughter from Canada.. Now, our visa is approved and our passports are submitted for visa stamping.. TRV IS FOR TEMPORARY RESIDENTS VISA

SUMAN BHATT

May 8, 2019
India
Who qualifies
To qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least oneof the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home
You must also meet at least one of the following additional requirements. You:

• are a Canadian citizen
  • are an Indigenous person (registered under the federal Indian Act)
  • are a permanent resident (formerly called a “landed immigrant”)
  • have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
    • you meet the eligibility requirements to apply
    • you have not yet been denied
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-time in Ontario, for an Ontario employer, for at least six months
    • your spouse and any dependents also qualify if you do

SUMAN BHATT

May 8, 2019
India
Who is eligible for OHIP?
To be eligible to apply for OHIP, you must be able to answer "yes" to:

• All statements in Part A; and
  • At least 1 statement in Part B.
Note: Some people are not eligible for OHIP. Tourists, refugee claimants, foreign (international) students, and some foreign workers cannot apply for OHIP.

Part A
You must be able to answer "yes" to each of these statements:

• Your principal home is in Ontario.
  • You were not away from Ontario for more than 30 days during the first 6 months that you lived here. That means you must be in Ontario for 153 days of the first 183 days that you live in Ontario.
  • You are in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period.
Part B
You must be able to answer "yes" to at least 1 of these statements:
Foreign Workers and Their Families
  • You have a work permit that is valid for at least 6 months. You also have a formal agreement to work full-time for an employer in Ontario. The agreement states the employer's name, your occupation, and states that you will be working for at least 6 consecutive months.
  • You have a valid work permit under the federal Live-In Caregiver program.
  • You hold a valid work permit under the federal Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program.
  • You are a foreign clergy member who will serve a religious congregation in Ontario for at least 6 months.
  • Your spouse or same-sex partner is a foreign worker who is eligible for OHIP.
  • You are the dependent child of a foreign worker who is eligible for OHIP.

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
You will be qualified for OHIP only after 3 months. For those 3 months, please check with your husband's organization, if they have PHIP replacement coverage. If yes, go for it. If not, then you should apply private health insurance for 3 months until OHIP kicks in.

konakallaramesh

Jul 21, 2018
Hi I am currently working in Toronto on PR, I planning to bring my family soon here. My second son is having TRV, Will he eligible for Health benefits and Child benefits once he lands in Canada?

Appreciate your response.