+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do I get the PR card if I dont live in Canada yet

canaspirant18

Mar 10, 2018
hi all,
I will do my landing formalities soon at windsor tunnel and will come back to US.
I will be carrying the passport, goods form and bank docs.
My question is what about the permanent res card?
I will come back to US same day and dont plan to migrate in Canada until I get a job. So how will I get the PR card? I dont have anyone in canada i.e address to mail the card, can the card be mailed to USA?

Thanks in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hi all,
I will do my landing formalities soon at windsor tunnel and will come back to US.
I will be carrying the passport, goods form and bank docs.
My question is what about the permanent res card?
I will come back to US same day and dont plan to migrate in Canada until I get a job. So how will I get the PR card? I dont have anyone in canada i.e address to mail the card, can the card be mailed to USA?

Thanks in advance.
1. No, the PR card will only be mailed to a Canadian address. You might have a chance if you set up a mailing address at a UPS store, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
2. Otherwise you will have 180 days to give CBSA a Canadian mailing address.

Reactions: canaspirant18

canaspirant18

Mar 10, 2018
Hi

1. No, the PR card will only be mailed to a Canadian address. You might have a chance if you set up a mailing address at a UPS store, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
2. Otherwise you will have 180 days to give CBSA a Canadian mailing address.
Thanks a lot.
So I dont need the PR card at the time of actual move?
Doesnt it affect the job I apply too ? Dont employers need my PR no. or something like that?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks a lot.
So I dont need the PR card at the time of actual move?
Doesnt it affect the job I apply too ? Dont employers need my PR no. or something like that?
No you don't need a pr card to get a job. It's really only a travel document. You will be able to get back into Canada on land with a copr or you will have to apply for a prod to get into Canada by plane. You may want to apply for your SIN when you do your soft landing. In order to work you need a SIN but you can get hired before you have one.

Reactions: canaspirant18

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I would also question whether you should be attempting to land via the Windsor/Detroit tunnel since it is currently closed for repairs. Might I suggest the Ambassador Bridge as your port of entry instead? ;)

canaspirant18

Mar 10, 2018
So here's an update from my landing:
- This POE must be the most simple & easy way landing in Canada thru USA.:)
It took me 20 mins to complete the process. The staff here are very friendly, smiling and very professional. The officer at the Windsor tunnel entrance will ask you the purpose of your visit and I told that I have come to complete the PR landing process. She gave me a yellow slip and asked me to park my car at the office in front of the canada-windsor tunnel entrance. I then went inside and an officer called me and asked me the yellow slip. Then passports and documents. He took some time to key in some things in his computer and asked for Canadian address. He asked me whether I am moving today or going back. I told him that I would go back and come later. He asked me after how long? I told in 60 days. He said I am good to go and whether I have any questions. I asked about the SIN office and he said they are closed over the weekends.
That's it. Landing complete. :) No other docs asked funds, photos, nothing !
It was raining and temp was in 15 so we din feel like staying more. So we returned after taking a nice long ride along side Sand point beach.
While on our way back we took the tunnel again and paid 4$ (approx) to toll and then at POE USA the officer asked atleast 10+ questions.
He asked me what do I do, why did I go to Canada, what do I have in car,do you have vegetables or fruits, oranges? is this is a leased car, are you going straight back to ohio,are you gonna leave US then, what about your job, phew... there were few more questions tossed .. ! :confused:

- Now I couldnt complete SIN and so I will have to look at the alternate way , i.e. online , does anyone has any experience? any help is appreciated.
- And yes the tunnel is open all week , to get more info read this, http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/travel-resources/nexus-lane-hours-for-the-u-s-and-canada/

Good luck guys..!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So here's an update from my landing:
- This POE must be the most simple & easy way landing in Canada thru USA.:)
It took me 20 mins to complete the process. The staff here are very friendly, smiling and very professional. The officer at the Windsor tunnel entrance will ask you the purpose of your visit and I told that I have come to complete the PR landing process. She gave me a yellow slip and asked me to park my car at the office in front of the canada-windsor tunnel entrance. I then went inside and an officer called me and asked me the yellow slip. Then passports and documents. He took some time to key in some things in his computer and asked for Canadian address. He asked me whether I am moving today or going back. I told him that I would go back and come later. He asked me after how long? I told in 60 days. He said I am good to go and whether I have any questions. I asked about the SIN office and he said they are closed over the weekends.
That's it. Landing complete. :) No other docs asked funds, photos, nothing !
It was raining and temp was in 15 so we din feel like staying more. So we returned after taking a nice long ride along side Sand point beach.
While on our way back we took the tunnel again and paid 4$ (approx) to toll and then at POE USA the officer asked atleast 10+ questions.
He asked me what do I do, why did I go to Canada, what do I have in car,do you have vegetables or fruits, oranges? is this is a leased car, are you going straight back to ohio,are you gonna leave US then, what about your job, phew... there were few more questions tossed .. ! :confused:

- Now I couldnt complete SIN and so I will have to look at the alternate way , i.e. online , does anyone has any experience? any help is appreciated.
- And yes the tunnel is open all week , to get more info read this, http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/travel-resources/nexus-lane-hours-for-the-u-s-and-canada/

Good luck guys..!!
You won't be able to get a sin online.