+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do I get local address proof for SIN ?

incomingAbg

Aug 25, 2019
you can definitely provide US address proof if you live in US. I know someone living in US got SIN mailed to their US address by providing utility bill from US apartment and US Drivers license. So it is working.

but if you denote that you reside in Canada and provide US address proof, then it won't work. the goal of asking address proof is to send a letter with SIN to that address.. just provide living in Canada as no as you are just doing quarantine in Canada and don't 'reside' there.
Thank you! Now I understand why my friend application was not accepted because of selecting the option "Currently residing in Canada" as Yes. I agree to your point if you select "Yes" then they expect Canada address proof.

One follow up question on this:
Do you think saying "No" will be right even though I will be physically present in Canada. In their system I will be in Canada but on form I saying I am not.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Thank you! Now I understand why my friend application was not accepted because of selecting the option "Currently residing in Canada" as Yes. I agree to your point if you select "Yes" then they expect Canada address proof.

One follow up question on this:
Do you think saying "No" will be right even though I will be physically present in Canada. In their system I will be in Canada but on form I saying I am not.
i am assuming that your plan is to soft land and come back to US, so that should be fine.. residing is lot more than being physically present in a place.. residence is a place where you spend majority of your habitat in a year. if you still feel uneasy about it, just apply once you come back to US. If you are just soft landing, what is the rush for SIN anyways?

Feb 6, 2021
It looks like you cannot get SIN (when applying online) if you provide US address proof. I have read in other thread that if you have any Canadian bank account or mobile connection or DL then that could be used as an address proof but I will be totally new to Canada and will be in quarantine for 2 weeks once I reach there. I don't want to commute anywhere as it will be violating the quarantine law.

Is there any way I can apply online for SIN and get local address proof while in quarantine? Please share your experience if you have already been through this.
Hello! Please let me know what you did. I'm in the exactly same situation. I don't have any proof of address other than my Airbnb receipt.

Ivan84

Dec 22, 2020
Hello! Please let me know what you did. I'm in the exactly same situation. I don't have any proof of address other than my Airbnb receipt.
Hi ! What did you do?
I am in the same boat, doing my 14 quarantine days without proof of address in Canada because I am staying in an Airbnb.

zac989

Mar 20, 2013
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-10-2014 App. Received : 22-10-2014 CC Charged : 28-12-2014 PER Received: 22-01-2015
File Transfer...
21-01-2015
Med's Request
15-10-2015
Med's Done....
20-10-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-11-2015 VOH : 08-12-2015
LANDED..........
21-02-2016
Can you present COPR as proof of address when applying for SIN?

visu7190

Jan 11, 2021
Hi all, can anyone shed light on how to provide Address proof when in quarantine as a new immigrant for SIN application?

Anand83

Star Member
Nov 22, 2020
Hi @DEEPCUR- Do we need to sign the the address proof that we need to submit as part of SIN (online). My friends SIN application got rejected and reason that the submitted address proof was not signed by him and his employer?
Any idea?

nscanadax

Aug 3, 2020
What I heard is that if you visit Service Canada office you don't need address proof as they issue SIN card hand to hand. You need all other docs though. Address proof is needed only if you apply online.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
What I heard is that if you visit Service Canada office you don't need address proof as they issue SIN card hand to hand. You need all other docs though. Address proof is needed only if you apply online.
You don't need address proof, they just need an address to put on file, and will ask you for that as well. They won't ask to see any docs relating to address.

nscanadax

Aug 3, 2020
If you apply in person at the Service Canada office (only with an appointment), you would not need address proof. They will give you the SIN number in person.