+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do I get local address proof for SIN ?

incomingAbg

Aug 25, 2019
It looks like you cannot get SIN (when applying online) if you provide US address proof. I have read in other thread that if you have any Canadian bank account or mobile connection or DL then that could be used as an address proof but I will be totally new to Canada and will be in quarantine for 2 weeks once I reach there. I don't want to commute anywhere as it will be violating the quarantine law.

Is there any way I can apply online for SIN and get local address proof while in quarantine? Please share your experience if you have already been through this.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
It looks like you cannot get SIN (when applying online) if you provide US address proof. I have read in other thread that if you have any Canadian bank account or mobile connection or DL then that could be used as an address proof but I will be totally new to Canada and will be in quarantine for 2 weeks once I reach there. I don't want to commute anywhere as it will be violating the quarantine law.

Is there any way I can apply online for SIN and get local address proof while in quarantine? Please share your experience if you have already been through this.
I dont know why you are not even checking the respective site online and just asking basic questions on forums. People can spend time on forum but not reading the respective govt websites.
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/apply.html

incomingAbg

Aug 25, 2019
I dont know why you are not even checking the respective site online and just asking basic questions on forums. People can spend time on forum but not reading the respective govt websites.
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/apply.html
Thank you I did my research and I am already aware of this link. One of my friend who is in Canada recently applied for SIN with US address proof was not accepted. So my question still remains the same.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thank you I did my research and I am already aware of this link. One of my friend who is in Canada recently applied for SIN with US address proof was not accepted. So my question still remains the same.
But where are they asking for address proof? Are you talking about address or address proof? I dont see it in the form online too and we never gave when we applied in person.

Reactions: missedTheGCBus

incomingAbg

Aug 25, 2019
But where are they asking for address proof? Are you talking about address or address proof? I dont see it in the form online too and we never gave when we applied in person.
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/applicants-guide.html - Please read this.
They are asking for address proof when you apply online. All Service Canada in Ontario is temporarily closed for in person visit. This is the reason why they are asking to apply online.

zaid.ahmed23

Oct 30, 2019
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/applicants-guide.html - Please read this.
They are asking for address proof when you apply online. All Service Canada in Ontario is temporarily closed for in person visit. This is the reason why they are asking to apply online.

Actually I saw the same issue as well. I am thinking of calling them and asking what to do in this scenario. Since I just landed, I am staying at my relatives place and can't provide an address proof in my name.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Why don't you read the link you just posted:

"Examples of acceptable proof of address:
  • a letter or document from a government (federal, provincial, territorial or foreign)
  • a letter or document from a financial institution (bank statement, credit card statement, mortgage contract or statement, etc.)
  • a residential tenancy agreement/ lease
  • a bill (from among others a telecom provider, a cable provider, a utility provider, etc.)
  • any document issued by a school, college or university that shows your address
  • employment contract that shows your address"
You are supposed to be living in Canada, if you don't have an address here or cannot provide one of the documents listed above then you cannot get a SIN.

For what I can tell you have not even landed in Canada, and technically you are not a PR until you land. You need to first land and become a PR before being able to apply for a SIN.

Actually I saw the same issue as well. I am thinking of calling them and asking what to do in this scenario. Since I just landed, I am staying at my relatives place and can't provide an address proof in my name.
You don't need to get a SIN right away. I am sure you will be opening a bank account soon or renting a place, you can use that then, probably wait until your 14 -day quarantine has passed.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Again. I dont see that they are asking for address proof for applying SIN. Where do you see that they ask for proof of address? Did you try applying online?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Again. I dont see that they are asking for address proof for applying SIN. Where do you see that they ask for proof of address? Did you try applying online?
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/applicants-guide.html#address

"To apply online you will need to upload copies of at least 3 different documents:
  1. a valid primary document that proves your identity and legal status in Canada, and
  2. a valid secondary document to confirm your identity, and
  3. a proof of address"

• Wow
Reactions: harirajmohan

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........

• a letter or document from a government (federal, provincial, territorial or foreign)
  • a letter or document from a financial institution (bank statement, credit card statement, mortgage contract or statement, etc.)
  • a residential tenancy agreement/ lease
  • a bill (from among others a telecom provider, a cable provider, a utility provider, etc.)
  • any document issued by a school, college or university that shows your address
  • employment contract that shows your address"
You are supposed to be living in Canada, if you don't have an address here or cannot provide one of the documents listed above then you cannot get a SIN.

For what I can tell you have not even landed in Canada, and technically you are not a PR until you land. You need to first land and become a PR before being able to apply for a SIN.

You don't need to get a SIN right away. I am sure you will be opening a bank account soon or renting a place, you can use that then, probably wait until your 14 -day quarantine has passed.
Probably the issue of applying online they ask. So wait till offices open. You dont need SIN till you want to work here anyway. In person they should not ask(at least when we applied) but not sure if this the recent change. Will have to see if someone applied in person recently.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I was checking in the form onlin but i dont see it as one of the documents to be sent(per usual process they are supposed to ask just identity documents). Can you check again? Hoping i am not missing it again.

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/applicants-guide.html#address

"To apply online you will need to upload copies of at least 3 different documents:
  1. a valid primary document that proves your identity and legal status in Canada, and
  2. a valid secondary document to confirm your identity, and
  3. a proof of address"
I think that they are asking proof of address, not necessarily to be in Canada as per form. They are even asking if you reside in Canada currently. So they are asking online/mail applicants on these to make sure they send it to right person. So this is fine even if someone is outside Canada.

incomingAbg

Aug 25, 2019

Thank you for sending the bullet points. I got overwhelmed with so many things that I missed the point which says the word "foreign" -
I think if I submit my US DL then that should suffice.

Yes, I understand I have not landed yet but I am just gathering information to prepare myself.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Thank you for sending the bullet points. I got overwhelmed with so many things that I missed the point which says the word "foreign" -
I think if I submit my US DL then that should suffice.

Yes, I understand I have not landed yet but I am just gathering information to prepare myself.
you can definitely provide US address proof if you live in US. I know someone living in US got SIN mailed to their US address by providing utility bill from US apartment and US Drivers license. So it is working.

but if you denote that you reside in Canada and provide US address proof, then it won't work. the goal of asking address proof is to send a letter with SIN to that address.. just provide living in Canada as no as you are just doing quarantine in Canada and don't 'reside' there.

Reactions: missedTheGCBus