+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do Asean people become truck driver in Canada?

netmark

Oct 22, 2013
Hi everyone,
My name is Chau, i am from VIET NAM. I graduated Bsc. Biotechnology 4 year ago, i also had 2 years working for a foreign company as consultant aquaculture. I just quit that job to concentrate my time and effort to study English. At this time, my English reading skill equal to 6.5 point of IELTS; listening, speaking and writing equal 5.0. @ @
Since 2007, I have had a license for driving heavy truck class C that equal to class 3 in Canada. So I would like to come to Canada in 2 years to become truck driver that can give me opportunity to do my favorite hobby (driving truck is my love), travel abroad and improve my English skills.
After several days i look for informations, I have some unclear question:
1) how can i exchange my license to meet the require of employer? As i know that, i must do exam to get class 5 in first 3 months. But how can? if i still not have class 5 in my hand, do the employer willing to give me LMO?, and in the time i wait for new license, any policy to help me to live at that time???
2) if employer decide to hire me, they will wait for the time i apply to get Work Permit and Visa, will they??
Please someone help me to clear about that, i dream to get class 1 license in Canada ^^, i love to be a trailer-trucker driving a long nose truck in a long road ^^
Thank for your time,
Wait for your help,
Regard

netmark

Oct 22, 2013
I just look at icbc.com, they said that " If you're a non-resident driver and you hold a valid driver's licence from your home jurisdiction, you can drive in B.C. with your out-of-province driver's licence for a maximum of six months. This applies regardless of whether you hold a valid international driving permit." It means i can use my current VN license class C to drive straight truck for a maximum six months????
After that, i must do exam on class 5 or class 3??????

Anyone got LMO for truck driver here??? Anyone known about that???? any source????
Please help!!!!!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

netmark said:
I just look at icbc.com, they said that " If you're a non-resident driver and you hold a valid driver's licence from your home jurisdiction, you can drive in B.C. with your out-of-province driver's licence for a maximum of six months. This applies regardless of whether you hold a valid international driving permit." It means i can use my current VN license class C to drive straight truck for a maximum six months????
After that, i must do exam on class 5 or class 3??????

Anyone got LMO for truck driver here??? Anyone known about that???? any source????
Please help!!!!!!
1. The only LMOs available for truck drivers are long distance hauls and require that you have a Provincial Class 1 license with air brake endorsement.
2. You can't drive a commercial truck with your overseas license.
3. If you have no experience in Class 1, no employer will hire you.
4. If you found an employer (unlikely) you would have to pass the class 1 in Canada, before you could work .

netmark

Oct 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your reply, PMM!!!
I see there are some employer who find to hire delivery driver with LMO available???
How about that job? Can i do that job immediately when i arrive Canada with my VN license driving?
Regard,

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

netmark said:
Thank you very much for your reply, PMM!!!
I see there are some employer who find to hire delivery driver with LMO available???
How about that job? Can i do that job immediately when i arrive Canada with my VN license driving?
Regard,
1. It is unlikely that any LMOs are issued for local delivery drivers, so no employer would have one.
2. No, you need a provincial license to drive commercial vehicles, and as you are from Vietnam, you have to start the graduated program in the provinces, as you license is NOT transferable.

netmark

Oct 22, 2013
Hi PMM, i had my VN license more than 2 years. So according to icbc, i do not need to start GDL, i just need to do exam on class 5 ????
I reference in FQA/new to BC section of icbc website.
Thanks for your informations

netmark

Oct 22, 2013
Someone said that, if i have an offer LMO from employer in Canada. The employer will support me to do exam and get Canada license and usually this is PAID TRAINING. is it right???
If i have license class C in VIET NAM, do i need go through GLP in Canada ? if not, can i do exam on class 3 or class 5?
Anyone known about this??
Thank you for your support!