+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do airlines know if my PR status?

rday

Apr 18, 2017
I am a US Citizen, and a PR of Canada living in Canada. I Recently made travel plans to the US, before realizing that my PR card was about to expire. I have applied for a renewal (I am not anticipating any issues as I am well within the RO requirements as I have worked and lived in Canada for the past 10 years without major disruptions besides vacations), but I may or may not receive my renewal in time.

Questions:
1. I understand that I will have no problems traveling to the US. On my return flight back to Canada if I don't yet have my PR Card, how are the airlines made aware of my PR status? Is my US passport linked in "the system" to my PR status? Do all airlines check PR status or just major Canadian carriers (e.g. Air Canada, Westjet)?

2. In the off chance I was issued boarding passes for my return flight without the airline checking my PR status at my original departure destination, am I in any danger of them stopping me at my layover location? Do they check PR status at the boarding gate? (essentially if I am going to be stopped at some point, I would rather it be at the original location versus my layover location, as I would have much easier access to travel across the boarder via land at my original US location vs. my lay over location)

I fully realize I may have to return via land, but I am traveling with my wife and 3 small kids (all Canadian Citizens), and would prefer to not have to either separate on our return flight or try to cancel our return flights and all drive across the boarder.

rday

Apr 18, 2017
Been doing some reading on this thread. Very informative! I guess my amended question would be as follows:

1. Given that I am a US citizen travelling from the US back to Canada on an expired PR Card , will the airline ask to see my PR card before issuing boarding passes? Asked another way, does the USA's eta exemption allow me to travel to Canada without identifying myself as a PR?

I am not worried about RO requirements once I land in Canada as I am well within the limit. I heard it will likely be a hassle to prove once I land in Canada and make take some time, but ultimately I will be let through given that my PR is still valid (I assume that is correct, please inform me if it is different)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Travelling on your US passport will not require a valid PR card or declaration to the airline of your PR status.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
rday said:
Been doing some reading on this thread. Very informative! I guess my amended question would be as follows:

1. Given that I am a US citizen travelling from the US back to Canada on an expired PR Card , will the airline ask to see my PR card before issuing boarding passes? Asked another way, does the USA's eta exemption allow me to travel to Canada without identifying myself as a PR?

I am not worried about RO requirements once I land in Canada as I am well within the limit. I heard it will likely be a hassle to prove once I land in Canada and make take some time, but ultimately I will be let through given that my PR is still valid (I assume that is correct, please inform me if it is different)
General consensus is that PR status is not shown for any random traveler presenting their passport to an airline. The airline simply gets a board or no-board option. Since US citizens are eTA-exempt, you should get an automatic "board" message.

Just make sure NOT to voluntarily mention your PR status to the airline. You are traveling based on pretending to be a foreign national, not a PR. If the airline finds out you're a PR they many demand to see a valid PR card or PR TD to allow boarding. This may still be flexible based on being eTA exempt, although I wouldn't risk it.

Usa2canada123

Apr 26, 2017
Hi there, I'm in a similar situation, I was wondering if you were able to board the plane without your PR and just using US passport. Thank you in advance. I'm flying air Canada from Mexico.