+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How dispatching my personal belongings by sea links to my PR status and file?

dabas

Star Member
Jan 27, 2016

I have personal belongings mostly books, clothes, journals, radiators, laptops and electronics left over aboard when I worked for my Canadian employer overseas. Some of which are on the list of my customs exemptions when I became PR in 2012 but I have not brought because I was hired abroad.
My PR card is expiring in the fall. If I fly to ship my stuff to Canada and return just before the expiry of my PR card, am I going to face issues when my stuff arrives by sea with customs, will the dispatch affect or tie with my RO or immigration file, are there any links and / or risks?
Will appreciate your help mates!!

dabas

Star Member
Jan 27, 2016
Dear Hero and Senior Members, would you please help answering this thread.

Depenabill, Links18 and others, I thank you for your advice and time in advance.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
dabas said:

I have personal belongings mostly books, clothes, journals, radiators, laptops and electronics left over aboard when I worked for my Canadian employer overseas. Some of which are on the list of my customs exemptions when I became PR in 2012 but I have not brought because I was hired abroad.
My PR card is expiring in the fall. If I fly to ship my stuff to Canada and return just before the expiry of my PR card, am I going to face issues when my stuff arrives by sea with customs, will the dispatch affect or tie with my RO or immigration file, are there any links and / or risks?
Will appreciate your help mates!!
When your belongings are shipped, you must personally go to clear them at customs with your ID. that's how the government will link the shipment to your personal file (and thus charge you any applicable duties based upon your goods to follow declaration). I'm not sure if they check the status of your residency at this point, but I do recall when I went to get my goods cleared, the person next to me was getting grilled for receiving a shipment while on a visit visa.

dabas

Star Member
Jan 27, 2016
Dear Torontosm,

Most of my belongings were declared when I first arrived for landing to be exempt from customs years ago. Most likely there are no customs problem but my fear is they will ask why I did not bring them earlier. Who will be grilling me? is it CBSA? who do clearing or another body?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
dabas said:
Dear Torontosm,

Most of my belongings were declared when I first arrived for landing to be exempt from customs years ago. Most likely there are no customs problem but my fear is they will ask why I did not bring them earlier. Who will be grilling me? is it CBSA? who do clearing or another body?
Even if you declared your belongings, you must still take your stamped forms to clear your shipment once it arrives. CBSA will be the ones processing the paperwork and will ask you any questions.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean to imply that they grill everyone. My clearing process took all of three minutes and I wasn't asked anything at all.