+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How difficult is it to get a credit card from major retailers?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There has been an older discussion on “how difficult is it to get a bank loan”:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t11198.0.html

I have no questions about this issue. My question is how difficult is it to get a credit card from major retailers such as Sears and Canadian Tire? Even though I have Canadian credit history from line of credit, mortgage and bank’s credit card, the retailers/card centres still refused my applications.

tran

May 10, 2009
Try Walmart. I was "given" a Mastercard without me asking for it at the Walmart checkout counter.
It includes $15 worth of free purchase at Walmart.

http://www.walmartcanadafinancialservices.ca/

President's Choice Mastercard includes $20 of free groceries.

http://www.pcfinancial.ca/whyjoin1/?gclid=CKv-nvnx5qgCFU5qKgoda2i_Gw

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
steaky said:
There has been an older discussion on “how difficult is it to get a bank loan”:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t11198.0.html

I have no questions about this issue. My question is how difficult is it to get a credit card from major retailers such as Sears and Canadian Tire? Even though I have Canadian credit history from line of credit, mortgage and bank's credit card, the retailers/card centres still refused my applications.
Sometimes a black mark in your file at the local credit bureau will cause a store to decline your application for a credit card. It is a pain, but you must go to the credit bureau, look at your file, and if there is a black mark that should be removed, challenge the store/bank that put it there. For example, if you got careless and missed a few payments on your credit card, that would show up at the local credit bureau as a negative. But if you have (since then) been making payments each month, but the bank/store has not removed the black mark, you can ask them to do so, and presto!!: a positive file and all the credit cards you want.

If the store/bank will not take the trouble to remove the black mark, take them to small claims court. It all takes time, but the remedies are there.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Toby:

Thanks for the tips. I have 2 MC cards now. Since I don't want to waste money on credit reports, I have been avoiding to go to those retailers which accepts VISA only.

shakira2009

Star Member
Aug 29, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
first Manila, now Tokyo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-10-2005
AOR Received.
06-11-2005
File Transfer...
10-10-2009
Med's Request
25-01-2010
Med's Done....
10-02-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
25-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2010
LANDED..........
10-09-2010
Hi,

Can someone please share HOW TO GET THE FIRST CREDIT CARD WHEN YOU GET INTO CANADA AS A NEW IMMIGRANT?

Assuming that: you have some savings but no job, and no credit history in Canada.

Thanks!

mrprice

Star Member
Dec 29, 2010
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 7, 2007
LANDED..........
Nov 6, 2011
After getting your SIN and a local mailing address, any bank may give u an unsecured cc with 1000$ limit. Easy.

shakira2009 said:
Hi,

Can someone please share HOW TO GET THE FIRST CREDIT CARD WHEN YOU GET INTO CANADA AS A NEW IMMIGRANT?

Assuming that: you have some savings but no job, and no credit history in Canada.

Thanks!

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
shakira2009 said:
Hi,

Thanks!
My bank gave me a credit card with a $3500 limit. I had no credit rating in Canada (having left Canada in 2003); I was not asked for proof inf income. Nada.

Once you have a Visa credit card (more widely accepted than MasterCard), why do you need one from a retailer? Do they offer a better deal when you buy?

To me, gathering several credit cards makes your pockets bulge (thicker wallet) and increases your inconvenience if you lose the wallet and have to cancel many cards instead of just one.

mrprice

Star Member
Dec 29, 2010
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 7, 2007
LANDED..........
Nov 6, 2011
Well, you may get one with 10K limit if it's secured. But dont get into the trap of cc, with the banks fancy offers, credit is what made this global economic collapse. Stick to your needs and income, and forget all about this credit history. If you want to buy anything, either you have the cash or simply, no need.

toby said:
My bank gave me a credit card with a $3500 limit. I had no credit rating in Canada (having left Canada in 2003); I was not asked for proof inf income. Nada.

Once you have a Visa credit card (more widely accepted than MasterCard), why do you need one from a retailer? Do they offer a better deal when you buy?

To me, gathering several credit cards makes your pockets bulge (thicker wallet) and increases your inconvenience if you lose the wallet and have to cancel many cards instead of just one.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
mrprice said:
Well, you may get one with 10K limit if it's secured. But dont get into the trap of cc, with the banks fancy offers, credit is what made this global economic collapse. Stick to your needs and income, and forget all about this credit history. If you want to buy anything, either you have the cash or simply, no need.
I am not suggesting that anyone overspend with credit card(s), but rather if you want one for convenience (Internet purchases, etc) then have just one card. Don't complicate your life with a bunch of retailers' cards.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Lenders look at several factors when considering whether or not to grant or extend credit. e.g. annual income vs debt load, etc. If you are carrying large balances on the cards you have, the higher the chances of being rejected. You are entitled to one free credit report each year from each credit bureau.

@Toby, if you've ever had utility bills(power, etc), cell phone plan, rented an apartment or used a bank in Canada at any point, you have a credit history. Most, if not all these agencies send information periodically to credit bureaus.