+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How difficult is it for an international student to get Canada PR now?

lololon

Mar 27, 2014
When the new Express Entry regulation started for international students about a year ago(?), media and law experts were saying it made it harder for international students to get a PR.
Just trying to get a sense of "how much" harder.
Now that some time has passed, how have you guys, actual international students, felt about this? Any real-life experiences about "I scored high points but got rejected" and so on?

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
Re: How difficult is it for an international student to get PR now?

Wrong forum, better ask at International Students.

Anyways I knew a guy who couldn't stay in Canada due it's hard to get enough score in EE, specially on firts months of 2015.

Provincial Graduates Programso are usually too slow.

So it's pretty hard or almost not possible, at least until EE scores don't get lower significantly

yixiaop26

Jul 22, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lololon said:
When the new Express Entry regulation started for international students about a year ago(?), media and law experts were saying it made it harder for international students to get a PR.
Now that some time has passed, how have you guys, actual international students, felt about this? Any real-life experiences about "I scored high points but got rejected" and so on?
No more words, suggest consider other country , if really for study , nobody will choose Canada . now for immigration, Canada's job loss rate don't welcome international students, they only hope you study here, then , kick your ass back to home country .

Reactions: stevevutien

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
When a International Student was able to get PR easily, study in Canada was a good idea, too expensive compared with other countries but the opportunity to live here, with a Canadian degree, worth it (in my opinion)

However, nowadays after graduation and PGWP obtain PR is harder, too much. Perhaps this year we can see lower EE scores but it's hard. If economy improves will be more opportunities probably but will be not easy for Post Graduates in a while

c2h5oh

Apr 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2014
Doc's Request.
21-02-2015
AOR Received.
11-08-2014
Med's Request
11-02-2015
Med's Done....
24-02-2015
Passport Req..
visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
25-01-2016
LANDED..........
15-02-2016
lololon said:
20-29 years old = +100 points
Bachelors or 3 year post secondary = +112 / Masters or 5 year post secondary +126 points
Post secondary + good language proficiency +50 points
Official language knowledge (on language) up to +128 points

So if you have no Canadian work experience, single, bachelors degree and very good language proficiency in one of the official languages you can get a maximum of 390 points. With masters it's 404. You need more than 450 to receive an invitation.

International work experience can net you +50 (skill transferability) +70 (canadian work experience)
LMIA + job offer is worth 600.

nuke noodles

Sep 4, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CEC filed 09-22-2014
Nomination.....
PNP filed 01-2014, nominated 06-2015. EE-ITA 01-2016
AOR Received.
CEC-AOR 02-04-2015, EE-AOR 02-2016
Med's Done....
EE Medical Passed 02-2016. ECAS MER 03-14-2016.
Passport Req..
PPR 2016-04-06, DM 2016-04-08
VISA ISSUED...
2016-04-12
LANDED..........
2016-05-22
Typically you need to get a full-time job after graduation to get PR. It's not so bad to get Canadian PR if you are Canadian. However after the imprudent rule of LMIA in 2014, which makes the employers aim to hire Canadian only, primarily because a Canadian is a Canadian, and this single trait is superior than any other competitive merit a foreign candidate can have.
My view is it's difficult to get PR within 2 years after graduation. My suggestions? Take a master degree, whether not employed full-time basis or employed while doing part-time master degree, work for 2 to 3 years to get high on skills transferibility score, and score high on English proficiency test. With these in hand there is a good chance to get invitation for express entry. This approach will obviously take time, as opposed to getting PR in Canada used to take much less time.
My other views are the invitation score for express entry will drop to a reasonable level gradually in 2016, making it easier to get invitation. And, if john mccallum is of any intelligence at all, he should scrub old conservative LIMA asap to make it easier to get invitation.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
If you can get as score higher than 450 (mainly after work here) it's possible to get PR.

My friend had a lot of problems last year when EE draws were 800 points or more.

As say, best option is a 2 years degree to obtain 2-3 yeras PGWP and get enough experience.

It's so expensive study here but I'll dare to say living here worth it, even in this low economy time

Anyways, it's a important decision and no everyone is getting a good job, good life, here.

Raven123

Feb 5, 2016
Sorry to hijack this thread, but anyone who graduates with 2 years of Diploma program(under SOL list) managed to get PR ?

I am considering to enroll 2 years of Diploma program.

Thanks in advance

stevevutien

Star Member
Jun 23, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Sorry to pump this thread up again :). It's really sad especially for Int students that came to Canada with the promise of the Conservative Government. I think this group should be considered under the old immigration law - old CEC stream. Anyway, Int students are not welcoming to Canada any more...Please do more research before come to Canada.

mamiojo

Mar 12, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Sorry to pump this thread up again :). It's really sad especially for Int students that came to Canada with the promise of the Conservative Government. I think this group should be considered under the old immigration law - old CEC stream. Anyway, Int students are not welcoming to Canada any more...Please do more research before come to Canada.
Unfortunately I'll have to agree to that. Other streams seem to be more successful than international students lately. Even if you come as a refugee, you get more chances than people willing to spend 30K on a degree in Canada. Sad, but true

Coco7

Star Member
Oct 9, 2015
If you qualify for a Post graduation work permit after your studies and get 1 year work experience is possible to get a score high enough to get an invitation under CEC, the changes they made during Nov. 2016,where additional points are given for having studied in Canada and the fact that they reduced the points that people with LMIA could get for having a job offer gave us graduates the chance to apply for PR, which was almost impossible to do in 2015 when express entry was introduced.

msmahmood

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's really not that hard to get PR as an international student anymore after the points increase for Canadian Education and Canadian Experience.
If you have at least 3 years of studies in Canada + 1 year work experience + and decent language scores, you're pretty much in, if you still don't have enough points, PGWP is generally for 3 years, and if you worked 2 years then you'd definitely have enough points to qualify in Canadian Experience Class.

Reactions: zeebah and Coco7

zeebah

Star Member
Feb 5, 2018
I came in as an international student and just got my PR approved this week. I had only worked for 1 year when I applied for PR and my points were higher than 470. It is fairly easy to get PR as long as you get a full time job in NOC 0, A or B and get really good scores on your IELTS or CELPIP. Most of my friends came in as international students and most of us who came in at the same time are PRs now. We only had our Bachelor's at the time of our application. I always encourage everyone to come to Canada, be smart about their choice of major, and work hard so as to help with the process of getting a good job after after grad.
Please understand that this has been my experience as well as my friends'.

Reactions: msmahmood and Coco7