+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How did you get police certificate in USA

Adolphite

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
I live in US. Not a citizen.

1. How do I get my police certificate? If you've done this before and living in the US, how did you do it? FOUND THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION.

2. How long did it take you to get the certificate? FOUND THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION

3. Does the police certifcate expire? Is there a time period within which the certificate becomes invalid? I will be writing my IELTS in June.

4. When do you submit the police report? When you initially submit your application or when you are invited to apply for residency?

Last edited:

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
3. Does the police certifcate expire? Is there a time period within which the certificate becomes invalid? I will be writing my IELTS in June. - 6 months from date of issue

4. When do you submit the police report? When you initially submit your application or when you are invited to apply for residency? When you submit your actual PR application.

Adolphite

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
3. Does the police certifcate expire? Is there a time period within which the certificate becomes invalid? I will be writing my IELTS in June. - 6 months from date of issue

4. When do you submit the police report? When you initially submit your application or when you are invited to apply for residency? When you submit your actual PR application.
So I can go ahead and request for the police certificate provided I upload it within 6 months of date of issue.... That's to say you can get your police certificate ready even though you don't have invite yet?

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
So I can go ahead and request for the police certificate provided I upload it within 6 months of date of issue.... That's to say you can get your police certificate ready even though you don't have invite yet?
Police certificates
To immigrate to Canada, you and any family members 18 and older must include your police certificates as part of the application for permanent residence. You need one for every country, other than Canada, where you stayed for more than 6 months in a row.

If you need one from the country where you currently live, it must have been issued within the last 6 months.

If you need one from a country where you lived in the past, it must have been issued after you last lived in that country. If it has an expiry date and is now expired, include it. We will let you know if you need a new one.

If you have a criminal record, you may not be allowed to enter or stay in Canada. People who pose a risk to Canada’s security are also not allowed to come to Canada.

Police certificates must be scanned copies of the original certificate(s) in colour. Certified true copies or unauthorized copies will not be accepted and will result in your application being rejected.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence.html#police

Adolphite

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
Police certificates
To immigrate to Canada, you and any family members 18 and older must include your police certificates as part of the application for permanent residence. You need one for every country, other than Canada, where you stayed for more than 6 months in a row.

If you need one from the country where you currently live, it must have been issued within the last 6 months.

If you need one from a country where you lived in the past, it must have been issued after you last lived in that country. If it has an expiry date and is now expired, include it. We will let you know if you need a new one.

If you have a criminal record, you may not be allowed to enter or stay in Canada. People who pose a risk to Canada’s security are also not allowed to come to Canada.

Police certificates must be scanned copies of the original certificate(s) in colour. Certified true copies or unauthorized copies will not be accepted and will result in your application being rejected.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence.html#police

Within 6 months. That's what I wanted to know. Thanks

mira_johnson

Sep 30, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-2017
LANDED..........
10-2017
Police certificates expire, I believe they should be valid for 6 months.
Thus, you need to time your police certificates with when you plan to submit your application to cic.
What I would do is have all of the planning all ready for the police certificates that would be required (based on the above information from cic) and then send it all off as soon as possible after you've been invited.
Prioritize the countries that have longer processing times, as they can vary from 3 days to 3 months!