+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can my family have PR in Canada?

winniesandhu

Jul 19, 2018
Hello,

I'm an international student studying at the University of British Columbia. I've been doing my undergraduate degree for about 5 years now and I graduate this December 2018. I will be applying for PR after a year of full time work however, I really need to find a way to get my mum, dad and brother PR in Canada.

My parents both live in Uganda but are legally Indian citizens. My brother studies in America but is an Indian citizen as well. I've heard that it is now almost impossible to sponsor immediate family members for PR but is there a way in which my mother could apply independently and get my dad and brother on board? My brother is younger than 21. Our family owns a well established business in Uganda. My mum has also done her ILETS with an overall score of 5.0. She took the exam last month.

Please help! I will forever be grateful!

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
You can read more about parental sponsorship here. There're requirements you need to satisfy including income.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents.html
It's not impossible to sponsor parents but it depends largely on luck since it's a lottery system.

You can only sponsor your brother if he's orphaned, under 18 and without spouse. Obviously he doesn't meet the requirements. If he wants to come to Canada, he has to do it on his own.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately you a quite a few years away from being able to enter the lottery to sponsor your parents. Your brother should look at ways to immigrate on his own.