+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can I travel to US with a PR as a refugee?

getmyccasap

Aug 1, 2018
The only document I have is my PR. I don't have a passport from my country.
What do I need and what steps should I take to travel to US?

How long does a travel document take to process?

Am I able to visit US with a PR and a travel document?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Can I get a passport with my PR?
I do not know the arrangement of refugee (some may not have passport from my original countries, I guess).
But for other immigrants that become PR of Canada, they need to get US visitor visas with their country of origin passport before they can cross the border. Having PR doesn't allow them entry to US.

You will be able to apply for a Canadian passport once you become a citizen.
I am guessing that you aren't one yet.

Reactions: getmyccasap

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I do not know the arrangement of refugee (some may not have passport from my original countries, I guess).
But for other immigrants that become PR of Canada, they need to get US visitor visas with their country of origin passport before they can cross the border. Having PR doesn't allow them entry to US.

You will be able to apply for a Canadian passport once you become a citizen.
I am guessing that you aren't one yet.
You should NEVER use your home country passport. You can apply for a Refugee travel document (RTD). You will need the US to grant you a visa. It will be up to them to decide if you are allowed entry.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Emphasizing the observations offered by @canuck78:

A PR-refugee should NOT obtain or renew or use a home country passport. Doing so can be considered to be voluntarily reacquiring home country nationality or deemed to constitute reavailment of home country protection, and particularly so if the PR-refugee actually uses the passport. (See UNHCR guidelines, which Canada follows and applies.) Reacquiring nationality and reavailment of home country protection are grounds for cessation of refugee status. (See Subsection 108(2) with reference to subsections 108(1)(a) and 108(1)(b) IRPA at http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-20.html#h-61 ). Cessation of refugee status on either of these grounds AUTOMATICALLY terminates PR status (see subsection 46(1)(c.1) IRPA at http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-10.html#h-28 ), and NO NOTICE of this to the PR is necessary; there is NO separate proceeding; and, IMPORTANTLY, there are no exceptions for H&C reasons.

A PR-refugee should NOT obtain a passport from any other country. Doing so constitutes acquiring a new nationality which can be deemed to constitute obtaining the protection of that country (again, see UNHCR guidelines), which is also a ground for cessation of refugee or protected person status (again, see subsection 108(2) with reference to subsection 108(1)(c) IRPA). Here too, cessation of refugee status on this ground AUTOMATICALLY terminates PR status.

(Also note: travel to the home country creates a PRESUMPTION that the PR-refugee has reavailed himself or herself of home country protection, and the combination of renewing or obtaining a home country passport AND traveling to the home country dramatically increases the risk Canada will actually investigate and potentially initiate cessation proceedings.)

Thus, as others noted, first step is to apply for the Canadian refugee PR Travel Document, and then, as @canuck78 suggests, apply for a visa to visit the U.S. I do not have a clue whether the U.S. will grant a visa. My strong impression is that it is MORE DIFFICULT to obtain a visa today than it was a couple or more years ago, and especially so for individuals from certain parts of the world. In particular, the Trump Administration has overtly adopted policies and practices inimical to refugees in particular, and some which generally discourage travelers, and again especially so those from certain regions and countries.

THUS: the following should be ignored:

You need a passport..
No. No passport unless and until you qualify for and obtain Canadian citizenship, and you apply for and obtain the Canadian passport.

Reactions: getmyccasap

getmyccasap

Aug 1, 2018
Thank you everyone!
I don't have a passport from my country of origin nor will it be a good idea to travel with that.
I will apply for the CANADIAN REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT.
Main problem is I need to find a guarantor!
Your guarantor must be a member of one of these groups:

• mayor
  • pharmacist
  • postmaster
  • optometrist
  • veterinarian
  • notary public
  • dentist, medical doctor or chiropractor
  • principal of a primary or secondary school
  • senior administrator or teacher in a university
  • professional engineer (P. Eng., Eng. in Quebec)
  • senior administrator in a community college (including CEGEP)
  • judge, magistrate or police officer (municipal, provincial or RCMP)
  • professional accountant (member of APA, CA, CGA, CMA, PA or RPA)
  • lawyer (member of a provincial bar association), or notary in Quebec
  • minister of religion authorized under provincial or territorial law to perform marriages
You can only use retired occupation-based guarantors if their name still appears on the listing provided to us by the relevant association.