+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can I re-enter Canada with a visitor record? how to apply for a Vv IN CA

bullas

Jan 27, 2013
Hi, I am wondering if anyone knows if I can apply for a visitor visa from CIC office with Canada. I am currently accompanying my spouse in Toronto and just changed my status from Open Work Permit to Visitor Record (actually, I have not heard about this before and was thinking that I wiil be granted a visitor visa). I have asked many people about this, the majority answered that I have to send my application online to an office outside Canada, but there was someone told me that CIC--Ottawa has been set up to handle visa applications within Canada, is this right? And can I apply?

I am planning to go back to my home this May, but I am not sure if I can get a Visitor visa with a visitor record. It would be too bad in that case, I haven't been home for more than 3 years and really want to go back for a while.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
bullas said:
Hi, I am wondering if anyone knows if I can apply for a visitor visa from CIC office with Canada. I am currently accompanying my spouse in Toronto and just changed my status from Open Work Permit to Visitor Record (actually, I have not heard about this before and was thinking that I wiil be granted a visitor visa).
And you still are not getting it right. There is no "visitor record" or "open work permit" status, the status is "worker" or "visitor". This makes a big difference when understanding other CIC concepts.

There is no such thing as a visitor visa neither.

bullas said:
I have asked many people about this, the majority answered that I have to send my application online to an office outside Canada, but there was someone told me that CIC--Ottawa has been set up to handle visa applications within Canada, is this right? And can I apply?
Yes a TRV can be requested from inside Canada. You are not eligible though, only workers and students are. You are a visitor now, so you should apply abroad.

bullas said:
I am planning to go back to my home this May, but I am not sure if I can get a Visitor visa with a visitor record. It would be too bad in that case, I haven't been home for more than 3 years and really want to go back for a while.
You are not sure you can get a TRV with a Visitor Record? Well, no you can't. I don't really get what you want. I would assume you need a TRV for coming back... if so you have to apply abroad or from your home country. Whenever you get it you can travel back to Canada.

bullas

Jan 27, 2013
How to reenter Canada with a Visitor Record? Ok to apply Visitor Visa in CA?

Thanks Jalex23 for correcting.

Actually, what I want is a visa to re-enter Canada after my stay in my home country. As you said, I have also been advised by an immigration lawyer that people residing in Canada with a Visitor Record can not apply for a Visitor Visa from within Canada, but I was told by another one that I can apply within Canada as the CIC office in Ottawa accepts and handle cases like mine. What's more, I have read a post about a guy who has encountered the same situation as I do, and he was granted a visitor visa. I can not verify if the guy was telling the truth, but I will file my application tomorrow and see what I will get.

Thanks again for you kind reply.

nick.rwth

Oct 7, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
EE 474 points (6th draw)
Re: How to reenter Canada with a Visitor Record? Ok to apply Visitor Visa in CA?

bullas said:

Actually, what I want is a visa to re-enter Canada after my stay in my home country. As you said, I have also been advised by an immigration lawyer that people residing in Canada with a Visitor Record can not apply for a Visitor Visa from within Canada, but I was told by another one that I can apply within Canada as the CIC office in Ottawa accepts and handle cases like mine. What's more, I have read a post about a guy who has encountered the same situation as I do, and he was granted a visitor visa. I can not verify if the guy was telling the truth, but I will file my application tomorrow and see what I will get.

Home country is a bad advice to apply for a visitors visa. In such case you loose any advantage that you have compare to all other people from your country.
This is a biggest mistake to downgrade yourself to others.
My suggestion is next:
-Get US visa B1/b2 visa.
-Get address in US (mail forwarding).

-Apply in US for Canadian Visitors Visa (if you apply under Express Entry then add this reason).
State your current status and reason why you need visa (for example vacation travel)

Chaoworld

Sep 1, 2016
Re: How to reenter Canada with a Visitor Record? Ok to apply Visitor Visa in CA?

bullas said:

Hi, did you get your re entry visa approved ?

bullas

Jan 27, 2013

Chaoworld said:
Hi, did you get your re entry visa approved ?
I sent my application back to my home country and it was approved. Good luck.

huutrungrimp

Nov 30, 2016
Hi,
Many thanks for posting your visa issues. I believe it is and will be very useful for many other people. My dependents are also in the same situation as yours.
I would highly appreciate if you could clarify your final post.
Did you apply online or send your paper application back to your home country?
Did you have to send your passports back to your country?
Thanks for your clarification!