I am in an interesting situation. I am an Indian national. I came to
Canada in June 2006 on a work permit. I have been with the same
employer since then. However, my current employment ends in December
2008. I have valid work permit and multiple entry visa until September
15, 2009.

Now I am looking for a new job. Most likely I will land a new job in
the next couple of weeks. However, before I can start my new job I
need a new work permit! I understand this process will take at least
6-8 weeks after I send my application to Vegreville, Alberta.

My question is: is there a way to expedite this process. I mean once I
have new job offer and HRSDC clearance (this usually takes 3 weeks),
how can I obtain new work permit instantly. Can I go to buffalo and apply for new
work permit in person with relevant documents? Or I have to send my
application to Vegreville only?

You know, I want to start my new job soon; otherwise I will be in
financial crunch. Waiting for new work permit for three months before
I can start new job is a bit frustrating!

Advice welcome.

Cheers!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you find a job right away and apply right now for a change of permit, you might get it before end of December. I have a coworker who is in the process of changing his permit to another employer. He was told by Service Canada that it would take 7 weeks although for him it has taken around 4 months now and nobody can tell him why it is taking so long. If there is a way to get a work permit changed faster, I don't know what it is.

tauruscol

Nov 3, 2008
You can go to the border and apply for a new work permit. I was told by an immigration officer that sometimes the officers at the border don't like this and they have the power to refuse entry. However some people are doing it without a problem. It's a risk that you may consider taking, try to find people who have done it. The other option is to go to an immigration office and tell them your case. They'll ask you if you can survive (money wise) until you get your work permit. They'll ask you if you have anyone who can lend you money, even in your home country. You may have to show them proof that you could not survive while you are waiting for the new work permit.
You may also ask for an extension on the first work permit for a maximum of two years if it is low skilled.

To find a new job, I suggest you visit http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/ Many of the people here are getting work permits for employees and may already have an LMO where they can add your name to it.

There are occupations under pressure where the LMO is somewhat expedited. Find the list here http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/occunderpres.shtml

I also suggest that you find a semi skilled or skilled job (NOC 0, A or B) so that after two years you can apply for the new CEC (canadian experience class) and become a resident.

You may remain in Canada until the end of the visa (2009) even without a job. when you find the other job and get a work permit, you'll be able to stay for the duration of the work permit. If you need to come in and out of the country then you may apply for a visa in buffalo.

God bless you!

kaisantori

Feb 28, 2010
im just wondering, i have a permanent position in the hospital that im working in and my work permit is also about to expire, can i also go to the border in hopes of getting my work permit renewed faster?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think it applies to renewal but as long as you have the new LMO and have applied for work permit extension before it expires, you can continue working while it's being processed under implied status.

Going to the border applies to people who are getting a new job. As long as they have an LMO with their name on it and they are visa exempt, they can go to the border, turn around and come back to Canada and apply for their work permit on arrival. Costs $150.