+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How Can I Get Temporary Benifits

Polianna Rose

Dec 17, 2017
Hey guys, my question is How Can I Get Temporary Government Benefits since I am 18 and no longer eligible to receive 'Child Tax Benefits'.

My Situation: I am 18 and not eligible for child tax benefits which was my only source of income since my unemployed guardian is on welfare. The money that my guardian receives is for her and barely covers rent and groceries. So that is out of the question.

I cannot legally get a job because i do not have a sin number. I am not eligible for a sin number because i currently have no status in Canada. I have not been asked to leave the country. am still in high school and the Canadian government is aware of this.I cannot return to my country because i have no family able to care for me there. I cannot apply for refugee because my country's agreements with Canada does not allow it.
I also cannot apply for sponsorship yet because my guardian who is planning to sponsor me is still unemployed which is a mandatory requirement for sponsorship.

Conclusion: I am an 18 year old high school student who has no status in Canada. (not asked to leave the country) I cannot receive child tax benefits from the government due to my age (18) , i also do not have a sin number due to my status so i cannot seek employment.

I am at a dead end with options. I just wanted to know if there is anything I can apply for. Please leave serious comments and questions. Example: Can I apply for a sin number without status or can i get a visitors work permit without having a job offer yet? Anything I can do to get temporary benefits or a sin number/work permit.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey guys, my question is How Can I Get Temporary Government Benefits since I am 18 and no longer eligible to receive 'Child Tax Benefits'.

My Situation: I am 18 and not eligible for child tax benefits which was my only source of income since my unemployed guardian is on welfare. The money that my guardian receives is for her and barely covers rent and groceries. So that is out of the question.

I cannot legally get a job because i do not have a sin number. I am not eligible for a sin number because i currently have no status in Canada. I have not been asked to leave the country. am still in high school and the Canadian government is aware of this.I cannot return to my country because i have no family able to care for me there. I cannot apply for refugee because my country's agreements with Canada does not allow it.
I also cannot apply for sponsorship yet because my guardian who is planning to sponsor me is still unemployed which is a mandatory requirement for sponsorship.

Conclusion: I am an 18 year old high school student who has no status in Canada. (not asked to leave the country) I cannot receive child tax benefits from the government due to my age (18) , i also do not have a sin number due to my status so i cannot seek employment.

I am at a dead end with options. I just wanted to know if there is anything I can apply for. Please leave serious comments and questions. Example: Can I apply for a sin number without status or can i get a visitors work permit without having a job offer yet? Anything I can do to get temporary benefits or a sin number/work permit.
As you were told in your previous thread, no, you can't get a SIN and no, you can't get a work permit. You don't qualify for benefits.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately none of these are options for you. Obtaining a SIN is not possible - you have no status in Canada. Getting a work permit would require having a job offer and approved LMIA. However even if you obtained a job offer and LMIA, it still wouldn't be possible to obtain a work permit since you have been in Canada so long without status.

Unfortunately your only option is to rely on family / friends for financial support.

The only place where you would be entitled to work and receive benefits right now is your home country.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
okay, Thanks
If you don't want to leave Canada, then you basically have two options right now.

1) Have you mother sponsor you for PR. She cannot be on welfare / social assistance at the time she sponsors you and must stay off social assistance while the application is being processed.
2) Apply for H&C.

Neither of these options get you a work permit fast. With the first option, you won't be able to work until you are officially a PR. With the second option, you'll need to wait until you have first stage approval before you'll qualify for a work permit. First stage approval seems to be taking around 14+ months these days.

Reactions: Buletruck