+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can I get points for working remotely for a Canadian company

lel2018

Jun 18, 2018
Hi all,
I started working for a Canadian company in March 2021 on my PGWP. During this year I worked from outside Canada for more than 7 months because my work was remote due to Covid. I went to different countries during this period and didn't stay in one location for long, and I came to Canada multiple times in the middle. I have read that to be eligible to apply under the CEC stream, I should have been physically present in Canada even if my work was remote and that if I apply for CEC my application will be rejected. When I enter my employer information, I enter the Canadian location, thus it automatically counts my experience as Canadian Experience and I get 0 as Foreign Experience. I understand that I am not eligible under the CEC stream, but I want my experience to be counted correctly to have the point for the FSW stream, what should I do?

Reactions: classico33

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,
I started working for a Canadian company in March 2021 on my PGWP. During this year I worked from outside Canada for more than 7 months because my work was remote due to Covid. I went to different countries during this period and didn't stay in one location for long, and I came to Canada multiple times in the middle. I have read that to be eligible to apply under the CEC stream, I should have been physically present in Canada even if my work was remote and that if I apply for CEC my application will be rejected. When I enter my employer information, I enter the Canadian location, thus it automatically counts my experience as Canadian Experience and I get 0 as Foreign Experience. I understand that I am not eligible under the CEC stream, but I want my experience to be counted correctly to have the point for the FSW stream, what should I do?
Enter the location you were working remotely from (i.e. your home or wherever you were staying outside of Canada).

lel2018

Jun 18, 2018
Enter the location you were working remotely from (i.e. your home or wherever you were staying outside of Canada).
But it is asking about the employer's address, not mine? My home was in Canada the whole time, but I was travelling a lot back and forth and to different countries not only one. I am still working for my employer, so when I add present, it only allows me to enter one address. Should I divide this to all the locations that I've been to during this year and duplicate the employer's name in all of them?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But it is asking about the employer's address, not mine? My home was in Canada the whole time, but I was travelling a lot back and forth and to different countries not only one. I am still working for my employer, so when I add present, it only allows me to enter one address. Should I divide this to all the locations that I've been to during this year and duplicate the employer's name in all of them?
Yes you’ll need to list all the locations you were working remotely from. Your home won’t count as Canada the whole time for CEC only time physically in Canada.

lel2018

Jun 18, 2018
Yes you’ll need to list all the locations you were working remotely from. Your home won’t count as Canada the whole time for CEC only time physically in Canada.
I have done that, but now it is not giving me any points neither for the Canadian Experience nor for the Foreign Experience. However, it says that I am eligible for the FSW but not for the CEC, so if I am eligible, doesn't that mean that I have at least 1 year of work experience, why can't I get any points for that?

classico33

Jul 4, 2023
I have done that, but now it is not giving me any points neither for the Canadian Experience nor for the Foreign Experience. However, it says that I am eligible for the FSW but not for the CEC, so if I am eligible, doesn't that mean that I have at least 1 year of work experience, why can't I get any points for that?
Hey! I'm in a similar spot. Trying to get my 9months worked outside of Canada remotely for my canadian employer to count towards claiming points for my second year of work experience.

What did you end up doing? Did you get your PR? Would love to hear.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey! I'm in a similar spot. Trying to get my 9months worked outside of Canada remotely for my canadian employer to count towards claiming points for my second year of work experience.

What did you end up doing? Did you get your PR? Would love to hear.
You count it as foreign experience.

classico33

Jul 4, 2023
You count it as foreign experience.
Thank you! I also have 1yr 3mo canadian experience. Can I use the extra 3mo of Canadian experience I have to make that + the 9mo count as foreign experience? Or do I just get points only for my first year of experience?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you! I also have 1yr 3mo canadian experience. Can I use the extra 3mo of Canadian experience I have to make that + the 9mo count as foreign experience? Or do I just get points only for my first year of experience?
Not sure. You will know when you set up your profile.