+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can I get my wife to stay longer...

KOI

Aug 20, 2018
Hello,
I am currently on a NAFTA visa (or USMGASD whatever the name is)...my wife is an Iranian citizen, currently here on visitor visa and we registered our marriage in Canada.

Obviously she is still on visitor visa, and because NAFTA doesn't allow me to get PR, and she cannot be sponsored unless someone is a PR or resident, we are afraid that she will have trouble coming back even if we do a trip together for lets say three weeks outside canada and come back.

What are our best options so she can stay? My contract with the business in canada is for another two years, and it's really hard for me to take vacation times to leave the country with her and come back (if that is even an option).

Part of the reason we came to Canada is because the US absolutely blocked her from coming to the US because of her Iran citizenship. We spent thousands on lawyers and talking to our congressmen etc with no results in the end...so we are in a tough situation and would like to know our best options to reside in canada and possible become PR..

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,
I am currently on a NAFTA visa (or USMGASD whatever the name is)...my wife is an Iranian citizen, currently here on visitor visa and we registered our marriage in Canada.

Obviously she is still on visitor visa, and because NAFTA doesn't allow me to get PR, and she cannot be sponsored unless someone is a PR or resident, we are afraid that she will have trouble coming back even if we do a trip together for lets say three weeks outside canada and come back.

What are our best options so she can stay? My contract with the business in canada is for another two years, and it's really hard for me to take vacation times to leave the country with her and come back (if that is even an option).

Part of the reason we came to Canada is because the US absolutely blocked her from coming to the US because of her Iran citizenship. We spent thousands on lawyers and talking to our congressmen etc with no results in the end...so we are in a tough situation and would like to know our best options to reside in canada and possible become PR..
Hi

Assuming you are a skilled worker, apply for an open work permit for her. CBSA can take issue with a person living in Canada as a visitor but wouldn't have that issue with a worker.

For immigration, there is no shortcut to research. Research EE and your CRS score. Or your wife's CRS score if she has education and skilled work experience. Look at PNP programs.