+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can I find out when I became a citizen?

eckoin

Sep 20, 2018
Through unrelated research, I found that the citizenship card only has the date when the card was printed, and not when I became a citizen. I guess I also received a "commemorative certificate" which is not valid proof of citizenship, but which does have the date I became a citizen. I have no idea where my commemorative certificate is, and I no longer live in Canada, so it's lost for all intents and purposes.

Is there a way to find out when my citizenship was officially granted?

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
Just apply for the citizenship certificate. Include a cover letter, asking them that you currently only have your card, but you don't have the commemorative certificate anymore and that you would like to know when you became a citizen.

eckoin

Sep 20, 2018
Just apply for the citizenship certificate. Include a cover letter, asking them that you currently only have your card, but you don't have the commemorative certificate anymore and that you would like to know when you became a citizen.
So, the reason I looked it up, is because I was actually going to apply for a new citizenship certificate. My card has my old name, and I changed my name right when I got out of high school, so it would make my life easier if my citizenship certificate name matched all of my other documents. However, on the form (CIT 0001) for renewal, it asks when I became a citizen, which stumped me. Is this where I put "UNKNOWN" and include a letter explaining that not only would I like a new certificate with a new name, but also that I would like to know when I became a citizen in the first place?

The part that made me realize the date on the card isn't correct, is because the card date is the month after my 18th birthday, and I specifically remember not having to do the citizenship test because I was a minor. So I must have become a citizen at least a month before the date.

eckoin

Sep 20, 2018
Also, another question. I am applying for a citizenship certificate for my daughter, born in the US last year. Since I have to include proof of my citizenship (which is my current card, as well as an accompanying change of name certificate to match us to her birth certificate)--is it better to submit her application first, and then submit mine for a new citizenship certificate for me (so it doesn't get confusing for whomever is reviewing her application), or should I go ahead and submit both at the same time?