+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can I descirbe my status in Canada

avigtr

Jan 11, 2012
Hello friends,
I am in the middle of the family class sponsorship process.
My wife is the sponsor and CIC received my application(PR+Work permit) in the beginning of Aug 2011(started processing sep 22nd)
I just wondered if there is a definition for my status here in Canada.
(I landed on may 2011 so I am not on a visitor status for a long time.)
Any ideas?

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are in Canada with work permit, your status is Temporary Resident on Work permit.

According to Section 179 of the IRPR, a temporary resident visa is issued to a foreign national if, following an examination, it is established that the foreign national:

Has applied in accordance with the IRPR for a temporary resident visa as a member of the visitor, worker, or student class.

astroduck

Jan 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
Did you apply for an extension? Did you apply for inland or outland?

I heard if you submited an inland application, you don't need to apply for extension. Howver, if you go with outland, then you need to apply for extension (and it needs to be approved) or else you stay in Canada would be illegal.

If someone could clarify this, it would be great.

Jan 20, 2012
IF your tourist visa already expired, your technically out of status. You can request to get your visa restored. If not they might ask you to leave, which is not likely if you already submitted your Inland PR application since they do not like to separate families if there is not a good reason.

You can find more information here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp

astroduck

Jan 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
DeporteQuestion1 said:
IF your tourist visa already expired, your technically out of status. You can request to get your visa restored. If not they might ask you to leave, which is not likely if you already submitted your Inland PR application since they do not like to separate families if there is not a good reason.
What about outland application?

Jan 20, 2012
You could also submit an Outland application as well. The outland PR app processing time might be less then the inland and with appeal rights. You will have to leave Canada since you do not have a valid status. Check the processing time for your country in the website i mentioned before.

avigtr

Jan 11, 2012
I applied in Canada long time before my visitor status expired.
I also applied for a work permit.
Basically I am waiting for first stage approval.
So what's my status?

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
You have none. You have "implied status" as a visitor, since you made the PR and OWP applications before your visitor status expired, so technically until your application is processed you may remain in Canada as a visitor. Implied status carries no rights to work, unless you previously had a work permit and continue with the same employer, no rights to healthcare, and no right of return to Canada if you leave.