+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can I be an accountant in Quebec?

Hany152

Apr 14, 2011
Dear All,

I'll be moving to Quebec soon, my major is Accounting with no experience and no French Only English!!!, how can I be an accountant? I don't know what to do and time is running, I feel like tomorrow is coming in a few minutes and the idea of moving is damn scaring me.

1- Is there a chance to work as an accountant?
2- How can I search for that kind of jobs?
3- Are there any places they can accept me as a trainee?
4- What are the documents that I need to bring from my home country?
5- What am I suppose to do before my arrival? I mean how can I search for a job before I land?

Best regards,

Nov 6, 2013
In order to be accountant, you will need to be member of one of Ordres des comptables. In order to become member, you will need to have the equivalent of quebecois Bachelor in accounting, finish post graduate degree in management, finish an internship that will last about 2 years and sit multiple exams. As you see, becoming an accountant for an immigrant is like studying medicine from scratch.

Alternatively, you can work as assistant accountant or accounting clerk. You will not be able to certify or verify financial reports but you will be able to do all supporting and technical paperwork. For this you will need to finish a 1 year course (DEP or AEC). I am starting AEC this february at cegep Gerald Godin - they have the shortest AEC in accounting.

Also, 99.99% of jobs require french and english.

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
WillLeaveOnceIGetPassport said:
In order to be accountant, you will need to be member of one of Ordres des comptables. In order to become member, you will need to have the equivalent of quebecois Bachelor in accounting, finish post graduate degree in management, finish an internship that will last about 2 years and sit multiple exams. As you see, becoming an accountant for an immigrant is like studying medicine from scratch.

Alternatively, you can work as assistant accountant or accounting clerk. You will not be able to certify or verify financial reports but you will be able to do all supporting and technical paperwork. For this you will need to finish a 1 year course (DEP or AEC). I am starting AEC this february at cegep Gerald Godin - they have the shortest AEC in accounting.

Also, 99.99% of jobs require french and english.
Is your French better than your English?

Hany152

Apr 14, 2011
Willleaveonceigetpassport,

Thank you for your reply and your help regardless your nickname, Thru my readings I knew that french is must for a good job and of course for a good compensation, I did study french but frankly it was for the purpose of immigration, now I realize that I have to continue what I have started and cultivate my french.

Would you help me more plz? How can I start this course? What are the needed documents? What is the location? What are my chances after I finish this course? And what are the fees? By the way I graduated from faculty of commerce and business administration Major Accounting and hold a postgraduate diploma in management.

Corazon3,

I didn't get the point of your question, but my English better than French.

Nov 6, 2013
There are about 10 cegep in Montreal and you can choose among their AEC programs in accounting by browsing their websites. They will ask your birth certificate, PR card, medical card and the Evaluation Comparative des etudes hors du Quebec (or at least a letter from MICC that you applied already). If you study full Time, studies are free. You will only need to pay registration fee (about 300 dollars). However you will need money to pay daily life expenses. My suggestion is to get a part time job and not to engage in any study loans. I am working in call centre to keep my savings secure. I am determined not to waste even a penny of my savings in this country.

After finishing these studies, the chances of getting a related Job are still weak, but at least the chance is different from zero, unlike the case where you have no local diploma at all (so that the chance of getting a related job is almost zero).

If you graduated outside Canada, it means nothing here. I graduated with MSc finance and PhD Economics in UK and it did not help at all.

Hany152 said:
Willleaveonceigetpassport,

Thank you for your reply and your help regardless your nickname, Thru my readings I knew that french is must for a good job and of course for a good compensation, I did study french but frankly it was for the purpose of immigration, now I realize that I have to continue what I have started and cultivate my french.

Would you help me more plz? How can I start this course? What are the needed documents? What is the location? What are my chances after I finish this course? And what are the fees? By the way I graduated from faculty of commerce and business administration Major Accounting and hold a postgraduate diploma in management.

Corazon3,

I didn't get the point of your question, but my English better than French.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Forget these free Cegep programs. They are really just a preparation for University since in Quebec University is 3 years instead of 4.

Nov 6, 2013
There are 3 types of cegep degrees - DEC general, DEC technique and AEC. Only the first is just a preparation for university, the other two directly lead to jobs. In fact, after AEC you cannot be admitted to university. There are plenty of good jobs for DEC and AEC holders and these are preferred to university graduates for technician level jobs because you can pay them less, but if you do not have quebecois name and good contacts, diplomas do not help much (even university degrees).

mrbeachman said:
Forget these free Cegep programs. They are really just a preparation for University since in Quebec University is 3 years instead of 4.

Nov 6, 2013
Yes, Vanier and Dawson give english programs but I strongly suggest to take a french course instead to clearly show to employers that you have a good command on french when you will be applying for jobs.

Hany152 said:
Thanks a lot, things are clear now, but what is the language of study? English is available?