+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can I be a French teacher in Canada?

yuvrajbhatia1396

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
Yes there will still be a demand for French teachers in 2 years. There has been a demand for French teachers for over 15 years and the demand keeps on growing because parents now many parents prefer French immersion over English schools. Most school boards want to open more French immersion spots because there is so much of a demand. Yes schools would prefer teachers with PR already but due to the demand they need to fill the spots. They are even recruiting in other French speaking countries. Teacher training is always general because the fundamentals of teaching are the same.
Thank you so much! :) Is B.ed from University of Alberta/Calgary with French teaching option a good choice? If not, can you recommend me other programs at other universities?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
U of A is a great school. I would probably apply to a few schools since the programs are very competitive to get into. Would suggest you avoid places like Toronto and Vancouver because the high cost of living but each province should have multiple teacher programs. In your applications make sure to highlight your desire to teach French.

yuvrajbhatia1396

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
U of A is a great school. I would probably apply to a few schools since the programs are very competitive to get into. Would suggest you avoid places like Toronto and Vancouver because the high cost of living but each province should have multiple teacher programs. In your applications make sure to highlight your desire to teach French.
I will do that. I think U of A will be best for me. Will I have an option to highlight my desire to teach French? Also, to how many universities should I send my applications? I ask this because Application cost 120-150CAD which is kind of a lot in INR lol

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I will do that. I think U of A will be best for me. Will I have an option to highlight my desire to teach French? Also, to how many universities should I send my applications? I ask this because Application cost 120-150CAD which is kind of a lot in INR lol
You'll have to look at the application to see whether they ask what you want to teach or if their is an opportunity to describe why you want to be a teacher. I would apply to 2-3 schools or you can apply to one if you are open to the idea of having to wait a year to apply if you don't get in. Becoming a teacher in Canada is very competitive because once you get a job it is a good reliable job with a good salary.

yuvrajbhatia1396

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
You'll have to look at the application to see whether they ask what you want to teach or if their is an opportunity to describe why you want to be a teacher. I would apply to 2-3 schools or you can apply to one if you are open to the idea of having to wait a year to apply if you don't get in. Becoming a teacher in Canada is very competitive because once you get a job it is a good reliable job with a good salary.
I know it is competitive. That's why I want to make sure that I am choosing the right path but you and so many people have told that there is a shortage of French teachers in Canada and that is what I want to become so it does not sound so bad. I don't want to wait for an year lol! The deadline for U of C and U of A is March 1, 2k19. I will get my IELTS and apply immediately.

yuvrajbhatia1396

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
Also, I will have an option to choose between teaching Elementary students and teaching secondary students. Does teaching secondary students pay more? I know I should choose what I like but I want to make the right choice and I am also curious. Can you please recommend me?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also, I will have an option to choose between teaching Elementary students and teaching secondary students. Does teaching secondary students pay more? I know I should choose what I like but I want to make the right choice and I am also curious. Can you please recommend me?
The teachers I know specialized in teaching elementary or secondary education during their teaching degree. Each province would pay their teachers different salaries. To the best of my knowledge salaries are similar for both elementary and secondary. Teachers unions are some of the largest unions in each province so have a lot of bargaining power. Sure the base salaries for each province are posted online.