+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can I be a French teacher in Canada?

yuvrajbhatia1396

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
I am from India, currently studying French literature. I have plans to move to Canada. I know that Canadian schools wont accept my Bachelor's degree in French. Will I need to study something related to teaching in Canada ? I have no work experience so I guess that will make it even more difficult.

yuvrajbhatia1396

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
Have you actually done the research I told you to do? This forum can only do so much.
Yes. I did the research. I'll have to get FSL( French as a second language teaching certificate). There is also B.ed specialized in teaching French. I was thinking of doing that. However, I am worried about securing a job after my studies in Canada. Is it true that STEM students have better chances of securing a job after their studies since their courses are in high demand compared to non stem courses like mine?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have you looked at job opening currently in Canada? Engineers don't have a very easy time getting jobs in Canada (foreign trained and new grads). There is lots of competition. Nobody can guarantee anything but given your previous degree it seems unlikely you can switch to a STEM degree. Only you know whether your French is strong enough to be a teacher. If you taught English I wouldn't recommend trying to teach in Canada. I would consider applying for teacher's college in Canada. I would also research each province because they often have different requirements. To get all the information might take a few weeks. There is no need to pay for a consultant you can do it yourself. Teachers college is hard to get into because teachers are generally well paid in Canada with good benefits. If you get in you can decide whether you want to move to Canada. It would be a small expense and you would have a better idea. Just to confirm you need a masters in education which is often referred to as teachers college to teach in public schools (and most private) in Canada.

yuvrajbhatia1396

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
Have you looked at job opening currently in Canada? Engineers don't have a very easy time getting jobs in Canada (foreign trained and new grads). There is lots of competition. Nobody can guarantee anything but given your previous degree it seems unlikely you can switch to a STEM degree. Only you know whether your French is strong enough to be a teacher. If you taught English I wouldn't recommend trying to teach in Canada. I would consider applying for teacher's college in Canada. I would also research each province because they often have different requirements. To get all the information might take a few weeks. There is no need to pay for a consultant you can do it yourself. Teachers college is hard to get into because teachers are generally well paid in Canada with good benefits. If you get in you can decide whether you want to move to Canada. It would be a small expense and you would have a better idea. Just to confirm you need a masters in education which is often referred to as teachers college to teach in public schools (and most private) in Canada.
Is B.ed not sufficient? Also, I never taught English. I want to be a French teacher.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Is B.ed not sufficient? Also, I never taught English. I want to be a French teacher.
It's not very clear if your b. Ed is completed in Canada. If not, no, it's not going to cut it.
You need to get into a teacher's college in Canada (I believe teaching diploma that's only offered after you already have a recognized bachelor degree)
Again each province is slightly different. And it's very competitive to get in.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Teacher's college in Canada is a masters program so a masters in education I believe. A B Ed from another country won't work although there is a bridging program in BC that allows you to take a 1 year course in Canada if you have been a licensed teacher in your home country.

yuvrajbhatia1396

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
Teacher's college in Canada is a masters program so a masters in education I believe. A B Ed from another country won't work although there is a bridging program in BC that allows you to take a 1 year course in Canada if you have been a licensed teacher in your home country.
I don't have a B.ed. I have a degree in French literature. I was thinking of doing 2 year after degree program from the university of Calgary with specialization in French. Will I not be able to teach in Canadian schools with this degree?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I don't have a B.ed. I have a degree in French literature. I was thinking of doing 2 year after degree program from the university of Calgary with specialization in French. Will I not be able to teach in Canadian schools with this degree?
https://www.ucalgary.ca/degreeguide/faculty/education/education

If your current degree is recognized by them, then I think there is a 2 year program from U of Alberta. You need to be really fluent in French to be a French teacher and yet, the BEd, I believe will be carried as in English. So make sure you contact them to see if their program will suite your need.

"The BEd is fully recognized as meeting the requirements for teacher certification within the province of Alberta."

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You need to do whatever teaching degree is required by that province. Each province works differently. A masters in literature won't let you teach.

yuvrajbhatia1396

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
You need to do whatever teaching degree is required by that province. Each province works differently. A masters in literature won't let you teach.
Most provinces require a b.ed so I am gonna go for it. Only worried about the difficulty of getting a job after my studies as I wouldn't like to come back to India after my studies are completed. :/

yuvrajbhatia1396

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
https://www.ucalgary.ca/degreeguide/faculty/education/education

If your current degree is recognized by them, then I think there is a 2 year program from U of Alberta. You need to be really fluent in French to be a French teacher and yet, the BEd, I believe will be carried as in English. So make sure you contact them to see if their program will suite your need.

"The BEd is fully recognized as meeting the requirements for teacher certification within the province of Alberta."
Thank you! :) I did send them an email but they haven't replied yet so I am waiting. Do you know what percent of international students who study b.ed in Canada get employed by schools to teach French after their studies?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Most provinces require a b.ed so I am gonna go for it. Only worried about the difficulty of getting a job after my studies as I wouldn't like to come back to India after my studies are completed. :/
If you are a licensed French teacher in Canada you can easily get a job. Have you googled job postings or researched the topic? There is a national shortage of French teachers.

yuvrajbhatia1396

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
If you are a licensed French teacher in Canada you can easily get a job. Have you googled job postings or researched the topic? There is a national shortage of French teachers.
Yes. I researched a lot. I asked so many questions on reddit and on this forum. I learned that there is a demand for French teachers but I don't know if this demand will still be there after my studies, i.e 2 years after and also since I am an international student, will it make it difficult for me to get a French teaching job in a Canadian school because (correct me if i am wrong) I heard that Canadian employers prefer Canadians first. Also, do you know of any good universities where I can study B.ed with specialization in French. I founded University of Calgary and Alberta. It does not actually specializes in French but I will have an option to choose the subject of study I would like to teach and I can choose French so it sounds good enough. Then there are 4 years program at Mcgill and Laval university but they are too long. The B.ed in university of Calgary and university of Alebrta is also 4 years long but since I will already have a bachelor degree by August, I can choose to study B.ed after degree which is a 2 years program. There is also one program at the university of British Colombia which trains students especially to teach in French but it is only 11 month long(which means I will only get 1 year of Post graduation permit) and on top of that, it is too expensive- 48 thousand Canadian dollars so I don't think it's worth it. I have also emailed University of Alberta and Calgary and even booked an appointment with them. Let's see if I get a call for them. In the meantime, I am trying to get as much info as I could get on this subject. Please reply to the questions I asked above. And thank you for your time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes. I researched a lot. I asked so many questions on reddit and on this forum. I learned that there is a demand for French teachers but I don't know if this demand will still be there after my studies, i.e 2 years after and also since I am an international student, will it make it difficult for me to get a French teaching job in a Canadian school because (correct me if i am wrong) I heard that Canadian employers prefer Canadians first. Also, do you know of any good universities where I can study B.ed with specialization in French. I founded University of Calgary and Alberta. It does not actually specializes in French but I will have an option to choose the subject of study I would like to teach and I can choose French so it sounds good enough. Then there are 4 years program at Mcgill and Laval university but they are too long. The B.ed in university of Calgary and university of Alebrta is also 4 years long but since I will already have a bachelor degree by August, I can choose to study B.ed after degree which is a 2 years program. There is also one program at the university of British Colombia which trains students especially to teach in French but it is only 11 month long(which means I will only get 1 year of Post graduation permit) and on top of that, it is too expensive- 48 thousand Canadian dollars so I don't think it's worth it. I have also emailed University of Alberta and Calgary and even booked an appointment with them. Let's see if I get a call for them. In the meantime, I am trying to get as much info as I could get on this subject. Please reply to the questions I asked above. And thank you for your time.
Yes there will still be a demand for French teachers in 2 years. There has been a demand for French teachers for over 15 years and the demand keeps on growing because parents now many parents prefer French immersion over English schools. Most school boards want to open more French immersion spots because there is so much of a demand. Yes schools would prefer teachers with PR already but due to the demand they need to fill the spots. They are even recruiting in other French speaking countries. Teacher training is always general because the fundamentals of teaching are the same.