+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can a RA/TA experience at university help me qualify for CEC or FSW?

hyunjinc

Oct 21, 2009
Hello,
I graduated with BSc from Universiy of Alberta, and now I am taking my MSc at University of Alberta.
I was offered a TA/RA positions for my graduate funding, and according to the contract, I am supposed to work as TA for 12 hrs/week.
Following the definition of full time work according to CIC (37.5 hr/week), I will have to work at least 5 years as TA in order to fulfill one year of skilled work requirement.

However, I realized that lot of people have applied to become a permenant resident after only spending 2,3 years as university TA/RA
How can this be possible?

If I, say, actually spend about 30 hrs/week doing my TA duties (unlike what contract specifies), can I claim that I've been working for 30 hrs/week when I apply for PR?

thanks

natali

Jan 15, 2010
you can write whatever you wish but be ready to back it up. CIC might ask you to prove it by paystub, offer letter, REC, T4 slip and stuff also they might call your employer. So just be ready for it and if your claims prove wrong then they might reject you and ban you for applying to Canada for two years and also might jeopardize your current status in Canada.