NateAlexander

Apr 21, 2015
App. Filed.......
10-26-2018
Med's Request
01-12-2019
Med's Done....
02-21-2019
My fiancé is a Canadian citizen and we plan to get married this coming February of 2018.

We’re very new to the idea of me moving to Canada, Ontario would be the province, and we want to know what to expect and any extra steps we should take to prevent too many bumps.

A little back story: We’ve been together for over 3 years and have plenty of proof of visitation between the two countries, and plenty of photos together and the like. In my experience (my mother married a Hispanic man and I’m familiar with US immigration policy) there’s a lot of interviews and hoops to jump through, so we want to know how best to prepare and what we should proactively prepare before submitting our packet in April/May of 2018.

Thank you, and any information helps!

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

You can't really compare immigration processes between two countries as some are easier than others. You're taking the right steps by keeping your application in mind, but don't focus too much on it. Enjoy your wedding and the focus should be about you as a couple and not an immigration process. Are you currently together, or doing long-distance?

You've mentioned that you have photos, and evidence of travel. Those are all good things. Have you downloaded and looked at the document checklist and the forms that you will need to submit? Your best guide is the one posted by IRCC itself on this process.

You should expect the process to take many months (IRCC's goal is to process 80% of all applications within 12 months from receipt).

You will submit one package as your application. Be precise! Make sure you've double and triple checked everything following the checklist, and make sure all the forms are included in the correct order and signed where they need to be signed. If anything is missing or incomplete, IRCC will send the application back to you and you'll have to correct it. You then get put back at the bottom of the pile to be processed once you submit again.

Unfortunately, once you submit everything to IRCC (to the Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Mississauga, you won't hear anything for up to 2 months or more. It's around the 40-60 day mark that people are currently getting their AOR 1, or, Acknowledgement of Receipt. Once you get this you'll know that your file has been received and processing will start. This will usually come to you by e-mail and it includes your application number and Unique Client Identifier (UCI-number).

With this information you can link your application to an online profile which will then be used to communicate with you, and where you can upload other documents as required. CPC-M or the Visa Office will at some point after AOR1 request that you upload your police certificates and your Schedule A Background Declaration. You'll also be informed that the Principle Applicant (PA) will have to undergo a medical exam by an approved doctor. There are many doctors around the world who can do this. Have a look now via the IRCC website to find a doctor close to you. The results of the medical exam are usually sent directly to IRCC, but you'll have to have the exam within the time frame specified in the Medical Request. All of these types of requests (including document submissions) usually have to be answered and completed within 30 days. If you can't meet these timelines for whatever reason you will have to submit a letter in its place as to why you weren't able to submit, and list the steps and time in which you do expect to be able to submit.

Once that's all done, the waiting begins, or rather it continues as you'll probably be a few months into the process already. You will receive sporadic updates from IRCC until later on in the process but you can follow along on the various online systems. Your file will likely be transferred to a Visa Office closer to the country of residence of the Principle Applicant, and you'll receive a message about this. Here a Visa Officer really examines your case and they will determine what further steps are needed from you (if any) and they will determine the outcome of the application. Interviews are not the rule, but rather they are used when the visa officer has doubts about the genuineness of the relationship and its purpose in respect to your application. Even if there's no interview, a Visa Officer may request additional documents such as more chat transcripts, photos, evidence of travel, or anything else they deem necessary in making their determination. If that's the case you'll receive instructions on what is required and how and where to send it. If an interview is required you will be informed and instructed on the process.

Behind the scenes, the Visa Officer is scrutinizing your application and making a determination whether your relationship is genuine, and whether the relationship was not entered into for the purposes of getting status in Canada. Additionally, based on the information from the application and the police checks, background checks are run on the Principle Applicant. This process may involve checks in Canada and in other countries with Law Enforcement and Intelligence Agencies (CSIS/Interpol). Sometimes this can take quite a bit of time. The medical results are assessed but carry less weight for spousal applicants than they would for, for example, economic class migrants.

Once all of this is successfully passed you will see online that a decision has been made in your application and you can expect to receive a communication from the Visa Office requesting your passport or copies of your passport plus any additional receipts or photos that they need to issue the Confirmation of Permanent Residence letter and applicable travel papers. With these in hand the PA can travel to Canada and upon entry will have a quick discussion with the CBSA officer who will finalize the paperwork, update information, and send off the application for a PR Card to be sent to an address in Canada. From this point on the PA will be a PR.

Things you can start gathering (though I'd try to have them ready as close as possible to when you are going to submit the application) would be:
  • Police certificates from the country/countries the PA is living in and has spent most of their adult life. (note, if you have them before you are ready to submit the application, you can include them in the initial package, otherwise wait for the request to come in)
  • Passport-type photos as per the PR specifications found on the IRCC site and in the application guides.
  • chat logs and phone/video records showing communication between yourselves
  • Employment details
  • Check the country specific requirements for spousal applications to see if any additional documents are needed, or anything needs to be submitted as an original or a certified copy.
  • Get any documents that aren't in English or French translated to one of these two languages.
I must add, and it's good to get this going now, if your fiancé is living outside of Canada, you will have to show in the application that they intend to return to Canada. To satisfy this requirement start making plans now on where you're going to live and start taking the steps on moving such as emailing realtors, opening bank accounts, applying for jobs in Canada. This is also evidence that will be part of your initial application. With uncertainty about the timelines it can be difficult to make concrete plans, but you will have to show IRCC that you are indeed going to be in Canada when the process is done.

Last edited:

Ukrainian girl

Oct 7, 2017
App. Filed.......
22-12-2017
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
Med's Request
07-03-2018
Also make sure to take lots of pictures of your wedding and it would be very good if parents from both sides could attend the wedding and/or any other relatives.

NateAlexander

Apr 21, 2015
App. Filed.......
10-26-2018
Med's Request
01-12-2019
Med's Done....
02-21-2019
Thank you everyone who responded as it’s helped us a lot! After a few bumps it’s weird to say we’re now married. Haha

The next steps will be deciding if I should move prior to submitting the immigration application? We’ve seen a lot of processing time changes and usually the “within Canada” applications get processed much quicker. Since I currently work from home (for an American based company), I wondered if working from home in Canada a month or two would be legal or allowed while I was relocating?

Really I’m just worried about the gap in Employment while moving, as I’ve always had work lined up before leaving a work place or career.

Any information on the whole relocation can not relocating would be helpful, since we have plenty of time to plan before our certificate is ready and we can continue the filing leg of this journey..

Thanks again!

Reactions: Ukrainian girl

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Congratulations on the wedding!

There have been some changes since my last, very long, post in regard to the submission of documents. You now have to sumbit your Schedule A document and police certificates upfront with the initial application.

Otherwise, much has remained the same. Sorry I can't help you with your other questions.

NateAlexander

Apr 21, 2015
App. Filed.......
10-26-2018
Med's Request
01-12-2019
Med's Done....
02-21-2019
Hello again everyone!

Thank you for all your help and guidance on this, it's definitely not easy and I'm happy to say it's not as terrifying as I initially thought.

At this point we've begun to fill in the paperwork and work through the packet together, as we're aiming to send in our Application the first week of May, after I've landed in Canada. We've decided that applying in land would be much less stressful as neither of us can handle to miscommunication of working on it separately. (Not to mention we haven't really been together since being married and it's just a bummer all together...)

Do any of you know the exact order of the paperwork? I've found a list here and there but sometimes it's different. Since I'll be applying in land and for the open work permit at the same time, I'm only positive that the OWP paperwork goes in underneath the checklist. Since I'm a US Citizen there weren't any special documents or paperworks for me to include, so I'm trying to make sure it's all in the right order before printing out and signing all the clean copies. (My first printout of the checklist is very messy! Hahaha)

Also: Since I'll be residing in Canada, we've opted to get an Ontario G License for me and I've gone through the process of getting an IDP and my driver's history from my home state - has anyone else done this? Is it a viable option to show proof in the Citizenship application as In Land? We're working on getting both our names on things together, but it's definitely a challenge when we're not quite ready for own place financially. (Soon.. but we're trying not to rush moving out until we've saved up more..)

And lastly: Any idea on pricing or information on the Medical and Medical Exam portion? Since I'll be leaving my career in the States I'll have basic health coverage (my company was such a good company!) until at least the end of the year, and as far as I know I'm up to date with all vaccinations and such as required by Canadian Officials... but I'm worried about the cost of the medical exam as some have described it as "expensive". To a US Citizen, 500$ for an ER visit is expensive but I've tucked away that amount for this exam and wanted to know if maybe I should be planning for more costs?

If there's anything else that you guys have glanced over or made a mistake with, or just general tips on avoiding having this mass of papers come back to me - it would help! Google can only tell me so much about circumstantial processes.

Once again - Thank you all for your guidance and help. It's a huge relief to know there's a dedicated forum like this for people in all steps of the process!!! :)

WhiteWalker89

Aug 29, 2017
Hello again everyone!

Thank you for all your help and guidance on this, it's definitely not easy and I'm happy to say it's not as terrifying as I initially thought.

At this point we've begun to fill in the paperwork and work through the packet together, as we're aiming to send in our Application the first week of May, after I've landed in Canada. We've decided that applying in land would be much less stressful as neither of us can handle to miscommunication of working on it separately. (Not to mention we haven't really been together since being married and it's just a bummer all together...)

Do any of you know the exact order of the paperwork? I've found a list here and there but sometimes it's different. Since I'll be applying in land and for the open work permit at the same time, I'm only positive that the OWP paperwork goes in underneath the checklist. Since I'm a US Citizen there weren't any special documents or paperworks for me to include, so I'm trying to make sure it's all in the right order before printing out and signing all the clean copies. (My first printout of the checklist is very messy! Hahaha)

Also: Since I'll be residing in Canada, we've opted to get an Ontario G License for me and I've gone through the process of getting an IDP and my driver's history from my home state - has anyone else done this? Is it a viable option to show proof in the Citizenship application as In Land? We're working on getting both our names on things together, but it's definitely a challenge when we're not quite ready for own place financially. (Soon.. but we're trying not to rush moving out until we've saved up more..)

And lastly: Any idea on pricing or information on the Medical and Medical Exam portion? Since I'll be leaving my career in the States I'll have basic health coverage (my company was such a good company!) until at least the end of the year, and as far as I know I'm up to date with all vaccinations and such as required by Canadian Officials... but I'm worried about the cost of the medical exam as some have described it as "expensive". To a US Citizen, 500$ for an ER visit is expensive but I've tucked away that amount for this exam and wanted to know if maybe I should be planning for more costs?

If there's anything else that you guys have glanced over or made a mistake with, or just general tips on avoiding having this mass of papers come back to me - it would help! Google can only tell me so much about circumstantial processes.

Once again - Thank you all for your guidance and help. It's a huge relief to know there's a dedicated forum like this for people in all steps of the process!!! :)
I just want to add my two cents with my experience getting the medical examination in Florida, USA, the cheapest I found was 500$ cash I ended up paying 700$ with a credit card since they used e-medical.

In Ontario the most expensive was 270 CAD which is even cheaper with the exchange, so I would suggest you do it in Canada if possible, in any case I am not sure what state you are from, but look here http://www.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx and search for the panel physicians available in your state, as you can imagine here in FL there were only 3 for the whole state and they can charge whatever they please, no insurance will cover you the cost of an immigration exam.

Best of luck,