+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How are the points for age calculated?

af56939

Jul 20, 2018
Hi Team,

I would be creating a express entry profile and would like to know if the age at the time of application is considered for CRS or age at the time of ITA ,as I am nearing my birthday and would be losing points if I get ITA after that.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your CRS is updated (decreased in this case) automatically on the date of your birthday.

shuiguo

Star Member
Apr 27, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
The points will be "locked" once you get ITA (if you have a birthday after ITA, those 5 points won't be deducted).
The points you get will depend on what your points are the date of the draw.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The points will be "locked" once you get ITA (if you have a birthday after ITA, those 5 points won't be deducted).
The points you get will depend on what your points are the date of the draw.
The bolded part is incorrect. Points WILL be deducted between the ITA and e-APR submission phase but there is an exemption for refusal in case the applicants' score falls below the cutoff score. Also, points aren't locked when receiving an ITA, they are simply recorded.

"
Exemption to section A11.2: candidates whose birthday occurs after they receive an ITA
An applicant may have a birthday after they receive an ITA but before they submit their e-APR. Their change in age may lower their CRS score below the lowest score in the round of invitations. It may also result in the applicant no longer meeting the minimum requirements of the FSWC and, consequently, no longer meeting the MEC, resulting in a refusal based on section A11.2.

When a change in age results in the candidate no longer meeting the MEC or having their recalculated CRS points score fall below the lowest points score in that round of invitations, officers should consider applying the public policy to exempt applicants for permanent residence from certain age-based requirements between invitation to apply and application, based on section A25.2. This consideration can result in an exemption from the refusal of an application under section A11.2.

This public policy also grants an exemption to applicants who may be refused for failing to meet FSWC program requirements when their birthday occurs between the ITA and e-APR.
"

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/assessing-electronic-application-on-section-a11-2.html