+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How am I supposed to actually get a work permit?

alliepaca

May 13, 2018
I'm so confused and lost. I currently reside in the US, and want to move to Toronto. Professionally, I'm a software developer (web developer, specifically), and have a 2-year degree from a US college. I want to find a full-time job and move there on a work permit, but the problem is I feel like I'm caught in a catch-22. Every job listing I look at states that I must be legally entitled to work in Canada and have a work permit already... but how am I supposed to even get a work permit when it requires an employer to sponsor you? I just want to move to Toronto and I'm getting so frustrated :( Please help!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I'm so confused and lost. I currently reside in the US, and want to move to Toronto. Professionally, I'm a software developer (web developer, specifically), and have a 2-year degree from a US college. I want to find a full-time job and move there on a work permit, but the problem is I feel like I'm caught in a catch-22. Every job listing I look at states that I must be legally entitled to work in Canada and have a work permit already... but how am I supposed to even get a work permit when it requires an employer to sponsor you? I just want to move to Toronto and I'm getting so frustrated :( Please help!
The bottom line is that there are plenty of Canadians available to fill those sorts of jobs and unless you are extremely specialized or skilled, there is little chance of persuading a potential employer to go through the hassle and expense of an LMIA. If you had an open work permit, you might stand a chance, but there is nothing in your narrative to indicate that you are currently eligible for one.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You can't "just move to Toronto". Unless your job qualifies under NAFTA, an employer requires an LMIA to hire you.This is to protect the Canadian labour market. The LMIA process has very strict requirements, takes months to process and costs the employer $1000, non-refundable even if the app is refused. The vast majority of employers aren't willing to go through this process unless it is to hire someone with very specialized skills.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The short answer is that finding a job and getting a work permit most likely won't happen.

If you are really set on moving to Toronto, you should either look into applying to immigrate - or come to Canada as a full time student (this is an expensive option).