steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Urge people to open up their homes (as in the case with syrian refugees previously):

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/metro-residents-urged-to-open-their-homes-to-syrian-refugees-1.2652041
Asking for people to open up their homes is a kind gesture but I don't know many locals are willing to take that on.

If you're already struggling in a one-two bedroom apartment, condo, bsmt suite, along with all the rules from owners/landlords,
may prove to be a little difficult. Who is going to pay for all the extra food and utilities? Single family homes in residential
neighbourhoods may have extra space but I'm sure most will require $$$$.

The federal government needs to be more engaged with affordable housing and money laundering issues.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bonsoir J'ai reçu mon prêt et je trouve qu'il est possible de permettre à d'autres personnes d'en profiter

Si vous avez donc besoin d'un crédit pour payer vos impôts , pour vos projets ou pour une autre raison de me contacter pour plus de détails sur cette structure qui vient de m'octroyer un prêt

Toporowski1944@gmail.com
Spam alert.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You have to start somewhere.

The modular housing can be built to many different specifications and don't require a large parcel of land. I think the city should start
with the priority cases and then move forward from there. Who knows, maybe it could expand to some sort of family housing complex?
There are lots of smart people around with design and engineering. What a great employment project!

You are correct regarding the subsidized rental housing.
There are strict application requirements with not much availability and the wait list can be a year or longer depending on the location.

Where are all the new ' Canadians ' going to live?
Subsidized housing lists can be over a decade.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Asking for people to open up their homes is a kind gesture but I don't know many locals are willing to take that on.

If you're already struggling in a one-two bedroom apartment, condo, bsmt suite, along with all the rules from owners/landlords,
may prove to be a little difficult. Who is going to pay for all the extra food and utilities? Single family homes in residential
neighbourhoods may have extra space but I'm sure most will require $$$$.

The federal government needs to be more engaged with affordable housing and money laundering issues.
Money laundering and questionable real estate practices definitely need to look into. With the issues with real estate in China, there will likely be more interest in purchasing property abroad.

arhue

Star Member
Aug 17, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are focusing on the window dressing, not the main course. Issue is not enough housing is being built. If you build highly dense houses or incentivise into doing so, the issue will automatically get solved. Austria and Singapore have solved the issue with lots of dense urban housing.
Not as simple as not enough housing built. Low interest rates, speculation, foreign ownership (and access to the same housing stock as Canadians vs places like Australia that limits to new builds), allowing housing to become such a large portion of GDP, lending practices that encouraged purchases with minimal deposit over decades, etc. all contributed to the problem. Just increasing housing stocks will not solve the problem.

arhue

Star Member
Aug 17, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Not as simple as not enough housing built. Low interest rates, speculation, foreign ownership (and access to the same housing stock as Canadians vs places like Australia that limits to new builds), allowing housing to become such a large portion of GDP, lending practices that encouraged purchases with minimal deposit over decades, etc. all contributed to the problem. Just increasing housing stocks will not solve the problem.
Then why is housing in rural Canada dirt cheap? Not saying it's the only cause, but not enough supply in cities to meet the demand is largely responsible for this.

Low interest rates, easy lending also allow people who can't afford homes otherwise get a home. If you check the real estate lending data, particularly from the US, which is a similar market there is not much to worried about. Sub prime mortgages are at an all time lows, yet prices for housing is at all time high.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Then why is housing in rural Canada dirt cheap? Not saying it's the only cause, but not enough supply in cities to meet the demand is largely responsible for this.

Low interest rates, easy lending also allow people who can't afford homes otherwise get a home. If you check the real estate lending data, particularly from the US, which is a similar market there is not much to worried about. Sub prime mortgages are at an all time lows, yet prices for housing is at all time high.
Housing in rural Canada is not all cheap. It is very dependent on the area. Some rural housing is more expensive than homes in the city. Low interest rates are the primary reason for increased housing prices. Had interests rates been higher it would have slowed down home price increases and limited speculation and purchase of real estate for investment only. The high returns while just holding has increased the amount of ppl acquiring properties to hold and sell once the fast growth has been maximized. Many aren’t interested in being longterm landlords. Allowing people to borrow and have long mortgage terms (which have been somewhat clawed back) allows prices to increase to high multiples of your salary because monthly carrying costs are relatively low. The low borrowing rates have allowed more disconnect between salaries and home prices. Things like 35 year term rates don’t actually benefit the borrowers. Would allow people to be still paying a mortgage in retirement and if still paying a mortgage less money is going towards things like retirement.

Glaber

Feb 22, 2019
I'm still in the process of getting my PR. While waiting for it outside of Canada, I'm doing my research about housing costs in various provinces and cities. I initially wanted to settle in Vancouver due to its relatively warm climate and beautiful nature, but now I realized that owning a home in Vancouver, Toronto or even in Ottawa is near-impossible except you're really rich. It feels like Vancouver and surrounding areas are for two groups. Extremely rich, and servants who'll pay almost all their wage to their post-medieval landLORDs for a right to 'live' there as long as their LORDs.. I mean landLORDs allow them to do so. We can debate how this problem can be solved? What caused it? How can we prevent it? for days if you'd like, but since we're not politicians in the Canadian parliement, it is nothing but a waste of breath for all of us.

I found that while a small studio apartment near Vancouver where you shit and eat in the same room costs 400k CAD, it's actually possible to buy an entire house with a garden, and a small garrage near cities like Montreal and Halifax. (Edmonton, Winnipeg, Saskatoon are relatively affordable too but I have no interest to live in these cities) Now I'm really considering to change my landing city just because of the ongoing housing crisis in Vancouver, Toronto and Ottawa. I don't wanna pay someone else's mortgage to make them richer and be treated like shit to the end of my days as a renter. :rolleyes:

Here are some examples I randomly picked in the last 5 minutes(All are 10minutes drive to downtown at max):

Vancouver apartment for 370k CAD (1+1 small apartment)
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/23595299/310-2012-fullerton-avenue-north-vancouver
Vancouver apartment for 399k CAD (1+1 small apartment)
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/23656959/210-270-w-1st-street-north-vancouver

Montreal house, literally a short walk away from downtown Montreal with special car park and garden for 299k CAD
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/23697501/1150-rue-duvernay-longueuil-le-vieux-longueuil-montréal-south#view=neighbourhood

Montreal house,with large garden and a car park for 280k CAD
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/23687664/10385-av-audoin-montréal-montréal-nord

Halifax house with large garden and a car park for 299k CAD
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/23669036/212-school-street-dartmouth-dartmouth#view=neighbourhood

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I'm still in the process of getting my PR. While waiting for it outside of Canada, I'm doing my research about housing costs in various provinces and cities. I initially wanted to settle in Vancouver due to its relatively warm climate and beautiful nature, but now I realized that owning a home in Vancouver, Toronto or even in Ottawa is near-impossible except you're really rich. It feels like Vancouver and surrounding areas are for two groups. Extremely rich, and servants who'll pay almost all their wage to their post-medieval landLORDs for a right to 'live' there as long as their LORDs.. I mean landLORDs allow them to do so. We can debate how this problem can be solved? What caused it? How can we prevent it? for days if you'd like, but since we're not politicians in the Canadian parliement, it is nothing but a waste of breath for all of us.

I found that while a small studio apartment near Vancouver where you shit and eat in the same room costs 400k CAD, it's actually possible to buy an entire house with a garden, and a small garrage near cities like Montreal and Halifax. (Edmonton, Winnipeg, Saskatoon are relatively affordable too but I have no interest to live in these cities) Now I'm really considering to change my landing city just because of the ongoing housing crisis in Vancouver, Toronto and Ottawa. I don't wanna pay someone else's mortgage to make them richer and be treated like shit to the end of my days as a renter. :rolleyes:

Here are some examples I randomly picked in the last 5 minutes(All are 10minutes drive to downtown at max):

Vancouver apartment for 370k CAD (1+1 small apartment)
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/23595299/310-2012-fullerton-avenue-north-vancouver
Vancouver apartment for 399k CAD (1+1 small apartment)
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/23656959/210-270-w-1st-street-north-vancouver

Montreal house, literally a short walk away from downtown Montreal with special car park and garden for 299k CAD
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/23697501/1150-rue-duvernay-longueuil-le-vieux-longueuil-montréal-south#view=neighbourhood

Montreal house,with large garden and a car park for 280k CAD
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/23687664/10385-av-audoin-montréal-montréal-nord

Halifax house with large garden and a car park for 299k CAD
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/23669036/212-school-street-dartmouth-dartmouth#view=neighbourhood
Just a note to the 2 "Vancouver" apartments. They are in North Vancouver and were both built in 1970s.
North Van and Vancouver are connected with 2 bridges . The one to DT Vancouver is called Lion's gate bridge. During peak hours, crossing the bridge can take over an hour (instead of 10 min). But North Van is a nice city. Careful with older strata condo is for the extra cost owners need to pay for fixing and maintaing these buildings.

Reactions: Canadaforever350

Glaber

Feb 22, 2019
Just a note to the 2 "Vancouver" apartments. They are in North Vancouver and were both built in 1970s.
North Van and Vancouver are connected with 2 bridges . The one to DT Vancouver is called Lion's gate bridge. During peak hours, crossing the bridge can take over an hour (instead of 10 min). But North Van is a nice city. Careful with older strata condo is for the extra cost owners need to pay for fixing and maintaing these buildings.
Yeah, and Vancouver examples I provided are not even houses. They're just small apartments which you can hardly live in a humane way.

There was no possibility to compare a Vancouver house which usually starts from 1.5 to 2 million dollars, with a house either in Montreal or Halifax. The price difference, and what you get for that price are ridiculous. :D